Issue 6 - An Uneasy Alliance

"What is up, my Steel Nation! IDDA here, and boy, what a week we've had in Super City. You already know what I'm discussing, so I've brought him on to discuss it further. Please welcome the king of the Hero Chasers, the Untouchable God Diego Epoch to the show!" Stella shouted, spinning in her chair and slurping on her branded energy drink.

"A pleasure to be on your podcast as always, Stella." Diego returned, waving. "Hey, everyone."

"Boy, oh boy, do we have the stuff to discuss. The last time you were on the podcast, we discussed you officially taking up the number one spot. How's that coming along, Diego?"

"To be honest, not great. While I hold the unofficial number one spot, that true goal is taken by Influencer 002. With the clause, I'm not sure I could ever reach that spot."

Stella leaned back in her chair, resting her legs on her desk, nodding. "I find it so bizarre; how can a Hero Chaser hold the number one spot when they never make an appearance; they never stream, nor has anyone seen them? It's bullshit." Looking to her left, she began to mutter. "Am I allowed to say that? Oh well! H-nourishment sponsors this episode for all your streaming needs, just 40% caffeine, alongside other umm surprises. H-Nourishment is my go-to drink to keep me going all day. Check out with code IDDA for 0.5% off your next order. We have the Pineapple pizza flavour here. What do you think, Diego?"

"It's something; I'll give them that. I can't say I've ever tried a flavour like this one. Man, I'm going to be awake for hours now."

"Going back on topic, tell me about this new kid on the block. I hear strong, fine rumours. Is it true you tried making peace with this guy?"

"I'll keep it real, Stella, like I always do. I hold no beef with anyone; we started on the wrong foot. I didn't want that to be the experience that defined his opinion of me."

"But aren't you afraid this kindness might be seen as being weak?" Stella prodded. "What's to stop him coming for your rank?"

"Stella, baby, little one. Don't be so naive; how often have we had this conversation? I can see the clickbait videos now about Y/N being the new Diego killer. How many Diego killers have we had? If I remember correctly, you were once put on that list. Guess what? I'm still standing." He laughs off, holding his hand up. "Now, before this is taken out of context, I'm all up for competition; it allows me to grow. Everything would get boring if I were at the top with no threat. But let's be honest; I've been undefeated for over ten years now. So why would I start sleeping with one eye open now? Y/N, buddy, bestie, if you're listening, there are no hard feelings. It's just some friendly banter at the end of the day. I only wish you all the best in life."

****

I stopped in the middle of the park, humming to myself. "Huh, I've already climbed the ranks doing nothing... I don't feel any stronger. Now what?"

"Hey!!!" I glanced over my shoulder, sighing and deflated as Zara fell out of a tree, her portal fizzling. She ran over, snatching my phone. "How can you be watching the enemy right now? You're only playing into her hand! Don't tell me you're thinking of subscribing."

"I don't have that kind of money." I bark, stealing my phone back. "If we're taking her down, I need to know how she ticks and uses her fans... Most importantly, how we even take her down."

"What do you mean?" Zara asks, standing on her tiptoes, leaning forward, curious.

"Well. We could crack a few heads together for any other Hero Chaser, put them in the dirt, and be home in time for tea. So tell me, does this IDDA even appear in public?"

"Well, no, she's a V-tuber."

"What?"

"A virtual streamer. None of her appearances is real."