Issue 28 - Curtain Close

The air hung heavy with tension as Ada, with a malevolent grin, stood at the centre of a crumbling city. The ground beneath her cracked and churned as if anticipating the chaos. Her eyes, filled with dark intent, glowed with an eerie crimson hue.

"I said kneel before your master."

I glanced at Kira, battered and weary; while we weren't going to kiss and make up anytime soon for the first time in a while, Kira returned my concern with a nod. Both standing against Ada, not ready to show any kind of mercy. I had faced many adversaries before, Diego, Miley, and even Kira herself but none like Ada. She was the number one Hero Chaser front and centre.

Ada raised her hands without warning, and blood-red tendrils snaked out from the ground, coiling around her fingers like sinister extensions of her will. Then, with a flick of her wrists, the tendrils shot forward, seeking out her unsuspecting foes.

We both tried to evade the blood tendrils, but Ada's control over them was swift and precise. They wrapped tightly around my limbs, constricting my movements and leaving me helpless. The air crackled with their desperate cries and futile struggles.

But all so suddenly, the tendrils froze over shattering. Landing back on my feet, I looked to Kira, who had a mixture of fire and ice ready. "Not a word; this doesn't change anything."

"Loud and clear."

Using her earth-bending abilities, Ada commanded the ground to rise, forming jagged spikes beneath us. Overwhelmed again, I tried calling on the shadows to aid, but the sharp points pierced through the barrier and scraped against my skin, drawing blood and eliciting pained gasps. Ada revelled in the suffering, relishing every ounce of fear she instilled. "My power, my might, it will set you free. Stop this pointless bickering and join me. Become the true heroes you were destined to be."

Curled up, my eyes flickered white as I burst from my prison, destroying all of the jagged spikes in the area the souls of the damned hovering above. "Heroes don't usually have these many speeches on power and control. So what's next, you're going to sing be prepared?"

"I knew it from the moment I laid eyes upon you, my beloved. You were special. A Deity of Death like me. Can't you see this is fate?"

"I'll decide my own fate. Thank you very much." I say with the utmost confidence. Clenching my broken relic, I focused all my power into its last essence, activating my assault mode. "Starting with you."

With a wicked grin, Ada continued her onslaught. She unleashed torrents of blood from the ground, creating a crimson deluge that swept over Kira, pummeled by the relentless assault, battered and bruised by the merciless onslaught.

Hovering above the faint energy was enough enough to end this madness. Curling up, I propelled myself forward, launching Ada back through the old train station and blowing up the abandoned trains as we passed. Darting underneath one, I picked it up, smashing it down on Ada. Then, cruising my hand back, I sent out a devastating punch caving in the entire area. 

But while I was growing slowly weaker, Ada's powers grew more vigorous. She could feel the blood coursing through her veins, fueling her magic and making her unstoppable. And with each passing moment, I was closer to losing.

Droplets of blood began flying upwards, a reverse rainstorm as I, too, was propelled and pressed against the ceiling. Finally, Ada emerged, rubbing the oozing liquid against her face in bliss. "Yes, yes. It will do."

With a flick of her wrist, Ada summoned a whirlwind of earth and blood, sending me flying through the air. Landing hard on the ground, groaning in pain as Ada descended upon us again. Falling to my knees, I struggled to stand, my strength depleted and hope extinguished. This was the power of a Deity. Kira, already battered from our previous battle, tried one last desperate attempt, but it was cut short by several layers of blood holding her down. My relic's already faded power echoed out into nothing. I was left with nothing.