Issue 3 - The Untouchable God

"Bealdor? I didn't take you one to do trivial calls?"

"Can't an old pal call in to check on her friend? It's been a week since you left the village; I was checking to see if you've yet taken over the world."

Sitting on the bus, I kept my eye out, scoffing. "Ha, ha, very funny. It's a little to get used to, but I'm adjusting; I've already got a mortal enemy hellbent on defeating me."

Bealdor laughed, pausing. "See, I told ya you would fit in just fine. Oh, that reminds me, have your wounds healed yet?"

"No. I still can't switch off Zen mode. While my Assault mode would be ideal, I think I can live without it for now. I haven't seen anything to suggest I'd need something like that."

The bus came to a sudden halt as several explosions echoed out. Then, of course, me and my big mouth. "Ooh, ooh, sounds like the action has already begun. I'm hanging up before I become jealous!"

"Kay, catch you another time, Bealdor."

Hanging up, I kicked the window, smashing it as I jumped out. Dozens of people began crowding around, recording the ongoing battle. I pushed through the crowds as no one had any regard for their lives.

"Holy crap, it's Diego! Quickly record this so we can bank off the reaction!"

"Diego? Must be some big shot."

Smoke began to subside as someone began strolling out from the chaos, spinning a top hat around with a smug look. Something about this guy felt off. Off.

Three more Hero Chasers appeared, looking exhausted but still wanting to fight. Finally, one ran from behind, striking the lone man. But at that moment, he vanished now behind the attacker.

The Chasers flinched, all taken back. The man said nothing, just striking them down with his playing card. Everyone began cheering. "There he is! The untouchable God!"

That's when my interest was piqued. "So that's him then... The number one Hero Chaser. Miley said if you take down a Hero Chaser higher than you... You take their rank."

"Don't." I turned around as a pale girl with white hair and red eyes stared at me with little pity. "If you attempt to challenge the Untouchable God, you will perish."

"Wha- Who are you?"

As I lost sight of the girl, more of the crowd began piling through. Turning back around, I flinched as the number one Hero Chaser stood before me, giving me a strange look. "Another one like me, huh?"

I looked around, hoping he wasn't talking about me. I sighed, knowing he was. "I don't quite follow."

He nodded smugly, stepping back. "Do you mind stepping out into the open?"

"Alright," I grumble, now directly in the open. I already knew this wasn't good. "Now, listen, I just want to get this off my chest. I-."

"You thought about taking me out. Please, everyone has. It's a running joke here." The man scoffs. "Everyone wants to be number one, but no one knows how it will ever feel. So I take it you'll be a Hero Chaser, then?"

"Perhaps; I heard the pay is good, and the glory is even better."

"So that's what you're in this for?" He asked. "Fame and fortune."

"I would come up with some sob story about doing this for my sick sister, but lying just ain't my thing," I admit, hands in my pocket. "Money is great; it's my main reason for being here; it's not my only reason."

"Oh, and that would be?"

"Spoilers," I whisper. "So what now?"

"Now. Hmm, yes, now." The man exclaims, walking over to me. Then, wrapping his arm around my shoulder, he patted me on the back. "Have you signed up for the agency yet?"