Issue 2 - The One-Sided Deal

"The Untouchable God strikes again, challenger after challenger has fallen to the current reigning Hero Chaser; Klein Hero was the most recent victim challenging for the top spot. It makes you wonder if anyone can take down the King of the Chasers. We'll be right back after a quick word from our sponsors."

The elevator ride up was torture. I felt my stomach drop every other second as it creaked, slowly rising to my floor. It was clear that this building hadn't gotten any TLC in quite some time. No wonder the rent was so cheap. Holding my suitcase, I yawned, watching the numbers rise as the radio continued croaking.

"Do you want to feel like the greatest Hero Chaser known to mankind? Come to Buckeroo's, where you can get a combo meal including a three-piece chicken bucket, large fries, a refillable drink and a one-month subscription to your favourite Chaser. All of this is just 7.99, so what are you waiting for? Come down to Buckeroo's, where anyone can be a Hero Chaser. T&Cs apply; free toys are not included; the one-month subscription can only be used on selected chasers; a monthly subscription is auto-renewed for one year and cannot be cancelled. Please see our website for more information."

Forcing the elevator door open, I began marching through, yawning. Man, I wasn't expecting such a crazy welcome. Being away from home has drained me more than I expected. It should be fine, though; I'm still enough of me to make the quick bucks. Super City hasn't seen anything yet.

Scrolling through the messages I had been exchanging with the landlord, a door opened behind me as a young boy stepped out, toothbrush in mouth. "Oh, hey, no way we got another new guy already. Billy sure goes through them, doesn't he?"

"You mean the landlord?"

The boy scoffed, flicking his toothbrush around, almost getting toothpaste over me. "I wouldn't worry about it; you seem capable of making a buck. I'm Harry. I'm not one to brag, but I'm a big thing around here. You wanna autograph?"

"Oh? You're a Hero Chaser?"

Harry paused, chuckling nervously. "Well, not yet, no, actually. Oh, but believe me, I'll shake the whole foundation when I am. I just haven't signed up yet, so I can let everyone else get a headstart. It will all work out just right; you watch; old Harry will get himself a Harem of beautiful girls in no time."

"Harems are a load of shit only love-deprived losers dream of. That sort of cringe clique doesn't happen in the real world." I shut down, choosing to end the conversation there. "But hey, you'll do it. I believe in you."

"Jeez, thanks, pal! I'll keep you posted. Oh, you didn't give me your name!?"

"That's the point," I shout, finding my new home. Knocking several times, I sat on my suitcase, scrolling through messages.

The door opened, and a blonde teenager wearing a suit stepped out, looking exhausted. "Oh, finally, I was beginning to think you were another bot screwing with me. Again, Y/N, right?"

I began putting two and two together, nodding. "Billy, right? Sorry, I just thought you would have been older?"

"I get that a lot; come on in. I don't have long to give you a full rundown. I've got a job interview at three." Quickly stepping in, Billy began jogging around the apartment, which was a mess. "The kitchen is just back here; feel free to make whatever you want but keep it clean but no dishes involving nuts; I have a bad peanut allergy. The toilet is the first door by the entrance. No shower; sorry, we must share with the internet cafe across the street. You do get a free coupon for use once a week, though. Oh, and it includes a warm miso soup; it's good for a cold winter's night."

"Well, I suppose there are always drawbacks." I sigh, putting the stuff down. "My room?"

"Right, I still haven't gotten around to clearing out the last tenant's belongings. He up and vanished like the rest, obviously unable to pay the bills. I don't ask for a lot; I'm reasonable, but people can't see that... If anything in there tickles your fancy, feel free to take it. I'm too busy to sell it online."