Issue 30 - That Isn't Fair

Have you ever questioned why certain things had to happen to you? The universe is unbelievably huge. No words could describe such a motion. We are smaller than small. In all retrospect, our actions mean nothing in the shape of reality. So why do bad things happen to good people, innocent people who did no wrong?

I had questioned that myself for quite some time. I was cursed, cursed with abilities I did not ask for, powers that tore my family apart. It happened to me, of all people; the endless question of why had followed me for as long as I can remember.

I want to say nowadays, things have changed, I can see the world from a different perspective, and I understand my purpose in history. But that would be a lie; nothing has changed; rather, I'm asking that same question now more than ever. Why do bad things happen to good people? To say it isn't far would be the understatement of the century. Nothing has changed... Well, almost nothing; one thing made all the difference. Something changed...

****

The creak of the old elevator cried out as it reached the top floor. Billy held onto the wall, anxious, his stomach dropping every moment the elevator made a slight jerk. Having reached sanctuary, he didn't wait around, bursting through the doors and walking down the run-down corridor to each apartment. Scrolling through emails and messages with the landlord, he began to count the numbers for his new home. As he got closer, a strong migraine hit him, it had come out of nowhere, but it tore right through him, almost bringing Billy to his knees. Forcing himself back just as quickly as the migraine came it went, the pain ceased to exist. 

Billy held his face, struck with complete confusion, not daring to take another step. The apartment to his left opened as Harry leaned against the door cutting his nails. "Don't get many folks on this floor; the entire back half is empty."

Billy looked to Harry, struggling to gather a complete sentence, only to return a faint huh.

"I bet you're the new tenant who thought he got a killer deal with this dump, right? I've seen my fair share come and go. Most don't even make it to the front door. The old landlord has been desperate, he's tried evicting Rita five times, yet here she is." He smirks, noticing Billy's blank look. "Headache?"

"How did yo-."

"Rumors travel far around here." He admits with a stale smile shrugging it off. "It's why most people moved out; the pain was too much to handle."

Billy kept his distance, now more paranoid than ever. "Have you, you know?"

"You kidding me? I'm not testing my luck. I am perfectly happy right thank you very much." He scoffed, moving further away from the apartment. "You want my advice, walk away, new guy. Walk away; you've lost your deposit and first-month rent. But you'd do better going back home." Harry continued to look at the apartment tutting. "Real shame, Poor old Rita is all alone."

Billy paused momentarily, thinking it over, he wanted to leave, and every part told him so. Yet he didn't. Gripping his small suitcase, he dragged it, muttering. "Going home isn't an option."

Pushing through, he gagged, feeling the pain pour through again. Harry simply watched in awe, arms crossed as he chuckled. "You are crazy, new guy."

Taking out the key to the apartment, he locked it into the keyhole, turning it readying for the worse. Pushing the door open, he saw the mess of the apartment; no light had found its way in for months. At the back of the room, a girl was curled up, hiding under a blanket and locking eyes with Billy; it was Rita. She crawled back, stuttering. "G-Get back; it's too dangerous. I-I'm too dangerous. I said go away!"

In the blink of an eye, Billy found himself back outside the room holding the key. The pain had only grown worse, but his questions only grew. It was becoming hard to remember, but a faint echo reminded him he had been in the apartment. How did he forget?