Issue 13 - No Time Like the Present Part 1

"Hello, Y/N. Have you been keeping well?" Diego said with a straight smile, legs kicked up on the coffee table. He pointed to the TV, spinning the controller around. "You've been busy."

"Diego," I whispered, clenching my fist. Kira was about to strike when Diego held Billy by the back of his neck. Then, holding my hand out, I snapped. "Wait!"

"Good boy, good boy." Laughing to himself, he slumped over, shaking his head. "Can't you see, this was all I wanted from the start? I don't know where we went wrong. I don't know what I did to deserve this hate, but I want to stop it if possible."

"You want to talk?"

Scoffing to himself, he held his hands out. "That's all I wanted from the start! This petty revenge arc you have going on, looking to fight me. Ultimately, all conflict is settled when the parties sit down and talk! You were better than this, Y/N; I know you were different; you were! It's these jealous cunts who have strayed you down the wrong path. But I will let bygones be bygones and, against my better judgment, make a deal with you."

Miley scoffed. "Isn't that rich? A deal? Maybe you're just scared Y/N is stronger than you."

Diego laughed along with this, eyeing me down suddenly. "No, not in the slightest. Consider its mercy. Here's the deal: I won't kill you; I'll leave all of you alone. In return, leave Super City and never return. That goes to you, too, sunshine. Fairing a bit pale these days?"

Kira clenched her fist, holding her tongue the best she could. "You bastard. Do you honestly expect me to walk away after everything you did? Who you killed? You took everything from me!"

"Playing that card, are we? If left unchecked, your family was a disease that would have burned this city to the ground. That boyfriend of your Ares, I did him a favour."

Kira finally lost it, flinging a handful of fire at him and scoring Diego's face. Then, holding his arms up, taking the hit, Kira snapped. "Not so fucking Untouchable now, are you!?"

"No, no, no, no. No, no, no... I tried warning you. I really did." He groaned, rising from his chair and slowly spinning, rubbing his face. "Fine, let's get this over and done with."

In a split second, Diego was already next to us, twisting Kira's arm and throwing her through the front door into the next apartment. Startled, I struck him in the face, forcing him back into a wall. Diego caught my second punch, smiling. "I've been secretly looking forward to beating you down again; don't disappoint. Head butting me, I was thrown into the ceiling, hitting the ground. Quickly trying to counter, Diego was behind me, Miley holding a bloody nose and dropping to the ground. Diego suplexed me into the hallway, kicking me against the elevator.

Miley came running out screaming; swinging her bat, she smashed Diego clean in the head, making him spin around and hit the wall. Then, in a split second, the door behind Miley swung open as Diego, untouched, got her in a headlock, trying to choke her out.

Rising to my feet, I ran at me, jumping off the wall behind the two, striking Diego from behind. Letting go of Miley, I swept him off his feet, catching his shirt. Running across the hallway, I threw him back with a charged wind blast. I saw Kira on the floor, bleeding from the head with a nasty concussion. Holding my hand out, I helped her up. "You still with me?"

"Ye- Yeah. I don't know what happened..."

Diego ran into my apartment again as I skidded forward, ploughing in, kneeing him in the face. Falling back onto the sofa, he slumped back, holding a drink up and wiping his bloody lip. "I was hoping you, of all people, understood me, but it's clear you're just a parasite like everyone else. So don't bother calling out for your roommate; she's far too busy keeping her title in those stupid games. Not that she could help; you won't be able to land a hit on me."