Issue 5 - Murder She Wrote

"Well, that was easier than expected." I shrugged off holding my new ID badge; better late than sorry; I was now an official Hero Chaser. Standing in the association's main reception, I stared blankly, putting my ID away. "Now what?"

"Bloody hell, finally."

I turned, seeing Billy storming over to me, slightly annoyed. "Took you long enough to register!" I was already giving a judgemental glare, ready to walk away. "It seems the two of us are lucky in those regards. But, unfortunately, I'm working till late."

"Oh, you got the job? Congratulations, Billy." I said in the dryest tone possible. 

"Yes, quite. Anyway, there's a book I've been meaning to pick up at the library all week. But, unfortunately, I won't be able to swing by before closing time to make up for the lack of rent here." Passing me his library card, I was already sighing. "Pick up the book for me."

"And what book is that?" I mutter, just going along with this shit.

"Office work for dummies, not a word, not a whisper."

"Fine, just this once, though. I'll leave it at home."

"Thank you. Finally, it's useful for something. I'm getting back to work. Tony needs help writing up the bios for the recruits."

Flipping the library card around, I shrugged my shoulders, leaving. I suppose I'm putting my chaser work on hold again. However, a limo pulled up as if the world just decided today would worsen. The door opened, and sitting in the back seat was none other than the Untouchable God Diego. "I haven't caught you at a bad time, have I? I heard the news that you were accepted."

"News travels fast... I'm actually busy, so if you don't mind."

"I can drop you home if you'd like?"

"Thanks, but I'm doing some errands, collecting library books. The exhilarating out-of-your-seat action."

Diego nodded, smiling. "Great, we were just passing by the local library. Hop in; we'll give you a ride."

Knowing he won't take no for an answer, I climb in, slouched back. Then, we drove off, closing the door behind me as I sat silently.

Diego was the one to break this. "I wanted to apologise over the other night. I've had time to think, and well, attacking you on the spot there was quite out of order. However, I ensured the association got my letter of recommendation for you. I'm glad it went through."

I still wasn't responding.

Diego licked his lips, sipping a glass of wine. "I wanted to squash any bad blood you may have with me now that you're a Hero Chaser. In fact, I would much prefer it if we were friends. Unfortunately, you see many other Hero Chasers. They are so closed-minded. No one trusts me; no one can see eye to eye. It's, what's the phrase? Dog eats dog world. Being number one paints a target on your back from just about anyone; you're public enemy number one. That's how it's been for me since I reached the top. Now that you're a Hero Chaser, you might consider reaching the top like many others. I was hoping to convince you otherwise before you got serious. Being number one is hardly worth it. The pay isn't much better, not enough for the harassment you deal with. You've always got to stay relevant and ever-changing. It's a total nightmare."

"If it's that bad, why not just step down? Let someone else take over?"

"Someone like you?" Diego questions, snorting. "I'm kidding, no. I cannot let anyone take my crown. You see, if I ever were to lose the number one spot, I would fall from grace quicker than you could fucking blink. Who cares about the former number-one Hero Chaser? I would be irrelevant; the new hotshot would be the talk of the town. Either way, I cannot win; I'm doomed if I do, and I'm doomed if I don't."

Hero Chasers (Superhero Story X Male Reader)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara