Issue 31 - Reboot

"Hear thee, my people; hear thee now. I need not explain my actions as my thoughts are your thoughts; your desires are mine. My most trusted and beloved asset has abandoned us, turned his back on the good we are doing here out of fear and spite. At the same time, it is a heavy blow that will not deter us. We will not stand down or bow to the whispers in the dark. For today we march to war. We march for a better tomorrow. I am initiating the final step; this City will prepare for battle, we will show no mercy, and we will not rest. Tomorrow the World will remember us as heroes!" Ada roared, sitting back in her chair and hearing the City erupt. As the feed to her broadcast faded, her facade crippled, and her hand trembled.

"This changes nothing... I cannot falter now... I've c-come so f-f-far." Ada stuttered, covering her face. "If they knew what you were th-."

𖢧𖤢ꚳꚳ 𖢧ꛅ𖤢𖢑. 𖢧𖤢ꚳꚳ 𖢧ꛅ𖤢𖢑 ꛎꛘ𖤀 ꚲ𖣠ꚶ 𖤀ꛈ𖤢

Wincing in pain, Ada gripped the faded hourglass closely, the voice tormenting and guiding her. She dared not speak, seeing herself drowning in the Hourglass of Truth.

𖢑ꛎ𖦪ꛕꛅ 𖢧𖣠 ꛃꛎ𖦪 ꛎ𖤀ꛎ. 𖢑ꛎ𖦪ꛕꛅ 𖢧𖣠 ꛃꛎ𖦪 ꛎꛘ𖤀 𖢧ꛎ𖢉𖤢 ꚲ/ꛘ ꛃꛈ𖢧ꛅ ꚲ𖣠ꚶ.

Breaking from her trance, Ada gasped, feeling her mind flow back from the sands trickling upwards. Biting her lip, feeling helpless, knowing her time was somewhat numbered, she took off her Relic, placing it in the middle of the table. After waiting a moment, a hologram appeared of a shadowy figure, a little boy with no features present. "Beelzebub, what is your report?"

"Kronos... I can confirm the Deity in question, the one I was watching. I believe he's the one, the one who we've been looking for."

Kronos paused in thought, returning the word. "What makes you believe so, sister?"

"The power he holds, he's like me—a Deity of pain and suffering. A Deity of Death." Ada admitted to debating whether or not to speak up. "Also... He is in possession of a Relic."

"A Relic? You don't mean?"

"I do. It's the Relic stolen from us, the Relic of Aaru, the day Anubus was murdered. He hasn't unlocked its full power yet, but it's only a matter of time."

Kronos again paused, stroking his chin. "In that case, the High Deities should aid, no?"

"N-No! No! I can handle this; I can! I've been waiting for this day my whole life; it's my destiny."

"I see, and if you cannot?"

Ada flinched, feeling cornered. "I-I have a backup plan in case I fall. I've infiltrated the mind of the Trickster; she will serve me well without even knowing it."

This got a chuckle from Kronos, who turned away. "You live up to your name Beelzebub; release your army of flies onto the World. Take what is ours and return home. Return home to Olympus."

"Y-Yes, my Liege," Ada whispered, ending the connection and putting her Relic back on, the flames burning her finger and consuming her emotions. 

ꛃꛅꛎ𖢧 ꘘꚶꛘ, 𖣠ꛅ ꛃꛅꛎ𖢧 ꘘꚶꛘ! ꛈ 𖢉ꛘ𖤢ꛃ 𖢧ꛅꛈꕷ ꚴ𖤢𖦪ꕷꛈ𖣠ꛘ 𖣠ꘘ 𖢧ꛅ𖤢 ꕷ𖢧𖣠𖦪ꚲ ꛃ𖣠ꚶꚳ𖤀 ꔪ𖤢 ꕷ𖣠 ꛈꛘ𖢧𖤢𖦪𖤢ꕷ𖢧ꛈꛘꚽ

****

"Y/N! She's coming to!"

Pausing my attempts to pack, I slid back into the front room, seeing Rita lying on the sofa holding her head, groaning. "My head."

While on edge, I couldn't deny my concern for Rita approaching with a false smile. "Hey there... How are you feeling?"

"Like I had just finished competing in a Destiny World first raid attempt..." She grumbled, sitting up. "Did you get the sushi?"