spook seventy ;; ☾

a/n : this for the aoi kinnies going through tough times. believe me, been there, done that.

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆☁︎

the red sun glimmered in the seawater of the far shore, waves crashing softly against the eroding buildings and lost belongings.

akane felt a little lost too, stumbling as he made his was through the water in a haze. he carried aoi on his back, holding onto his beloved friend tightly as if she would fade away if he didn't.

he felt conflicted at first, hesitating to bring her with him to safety upon finding her unconscious- but had shook away the distaste bubbling up in his throat. akane would stay with her, just like he promised himself.

"nn..."

aoi stirred on his back, purple ringlets of hair falling around her face almost angelically. she felt as though she were floating, her head spinning and dried blood smeared beneath her nose. she fully opened her eyes, finding herself face to face with the back of akane's head.

"oh... are you awake?" she heard him rasp out, though his wobbly voice sounded eons away. she nodded slowly, still disoriented- until she too heard the waves rolling in, smelled the salt in the air and the blood from akane's gaping stomach wound.

she opened her mouth, voice dry and hoarse as his. "akane kun...?"

"i'm sorry." the ginger boy said, and aoi felt her stomach twist as he coughed and stumbled over his words. "...a-about dragging you... all the way out to wherever this is..." he paused, staggering. "i'll get us out as soon as i c— ackh!!"

akane collapsed, sending him and aoi crashing into the waves below. blood spilled from his lips as he fell into another violent coughing fit. the boy wheezed, clutching his stomach in agony as aoi looked on.

"sorry... it's just a little hard... to move." he got out finally, watching helplessly as his blood swirled in the shallow seawater around them. aoi hardened her stare, glaring at her reflection as it scowled back.

despite the frustration twisting in her belly, she kept her tone light and airy as she had trained herself to do. "maybe you shouldn't push yourself then?"

"are you worried about me?" the thought seemed to bring akane a bit of joy, despite the pain threatening to bring him to tears. "you're so kind, ao chan. i'll... be okay. i'm sturdier than usual when i'm in this..."

his words were slowing, becoming more slurred, and akane's eyes fluttered shut.

"f... form....."