spook seventy two ;; ☾

a/n : hello all! after seventy two chapters, i've decided to bring this fic to a close. this is getting a little excessive and i'm not even into hanako anymore!! i'm glad you stuck around for the ride tho. bye!

nah april fools, there's plenty more to come for you all :]

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆☁︎

the elevator that you, sumire, and hanako found yourselves in screeched to a stop, the floor lurching below your feet. you stumbled to the wall for balance just as the elevator doors sprung open, revealing an unfamiliar landscape.

cherry blossom trees bloomed before you in a brilliant sight. sakura petals fluttered from their branches, starting to blanket the floor of the elevator in varying hues of pink. you were... puzzled, to say the least.

"...huh? what is this place?" you questioned, turning to hanako. "i figured that elevator was gonna take us back to the school."

the school mystery hummed, placing a hand on your shoulder. "you wanted to find no. 6, didn't you? this elevator took us deeper into his boundary- like the place where we destroyed no. 2's yorishiro." hanako straightened, staring out past the flurry of pink petals. "he should come here once he senses us... and then you can decide on what to do. will you destroy his yorishiro and strip him of his power? or do you really believe words will be enough after he- oh, i don't know- almost ate you, and then kidnapped your friend?"

"i could do without the snide remarks."

"yeah, yeah." the corners of hanako's eyes crinkled as he grinned cheekily at you. you sneered back, smacking his arm and almost forgetting that you were about to face a 'lord of death'- but then sumire brushed past you, breaking your attention away from the ghost boy. the dark haired woman stepped out of the elevator, gazing breathlessly across the flowering trees.

"did cherry blossoms bloom this time of year? i... can't remember." she murmured, clutching the lilac fabric over her chest as though her still heart hurt.

sumire spun to face you, her black hair stark against the soft pink petals.

"this is where you will destroy the yorishiro- correct?" there was almost a relief in her airy tone, and she smiled at you bittersweetly as you opened your mouth to argue.

"but i couldn't—"

"then it's where we will part ways." noticing your hesitance still, sumire bowed her head towards you. "please... gon is right. hakubo is a stubborn man... and i think it's best if we rid him of his power once and for all." she paused, then added, "and what a nice final resting place for me! i've got such fond memories of this forest, you know? it's been ages..."