Chapter Thirty-Six

Arabella awakens alone in a dark room. It takes her eyes a few moments to adjust to the dark. She is currently laying on a lumpy mattress in the middle of a decrepit cell.

The mattress creaks while she sits up, moaning in protest to the shift in her weight. The hybrid does not remember the fuzzy details of how she ended up in such a place. The last thing that comes to mind is that restaurant she had brought Elena to.

"I'm glad you're finally awake," a voice claims.

Snapping her head toward the direction of the sound, Arabella finds a man in his twenties with long, dark hair staring at her. His cobalt blue eyes greatly contrasts his brown skin tone, making them pop more. The man studies her carefully, taking in every detail about her. The way that he stares at her, however, is something more innocent than a leer. It's almost as though he is looking at a child he has not seen in a long time.

"Now, we can finally become acquainted with one another."

Within seconds, Arabella is across the cell. She presses her hands against the bar and glares at the man on the other side. "Who are you!?" She demands. Arabella attempts to tug at the bars, finding that they are snuggly in place. "What do you want from me?"

There's something almost sad about the way he is currently looking at her. As if this is not the way he had envisioned this conversation going. "I'm sorry for the dramatics. I had to be sure you would not cause harm to me or our brothers."

Her brothers are here too? Somehow, all three Salvatores had been overwhelmed and overpowered by an unknown force.

When she finally recognizes the implication of his words, Arabella furrows her eyebrows. "Our brothers?"

The man shakes his head, his chin length, black hair swishing with the motion. He grabs a stool from the corner of the room, dragging it over so that he is a few feet from the cell. "How about I start by introducing myself? My name is Sébastien. I'm your half brother through our father."

Shock courses through Arabella's body for a brief moment. Then, she remembers that her father was a werewolf, therefore none of his other children would be immortal. They cannot be turned into hybrids. "That's not possible. All of my father's other children would be dead."

"In normal circumstances, you'd be correct. Unfortunately for both of us, I have lived for over 1300 years due our dad's curse," the man claims. "But I feel as though that is too much to get into at the moment."

Slowly backing away from the bars, Arabella shakes her head. His claims do not make any sense. If he truly is her brother and cursed to live forever like her, then that means that she likely inherited her father's curse. Emily Bennett never cursed her to live forever. Katherine never arranged for Arabella to live forever to be a present to Klaus and just happened upon a curse that was already there.

That means Arabella never had a chance of being cured from her immortality.

"That's not— that doesn't—" she cuts herself off, unable to find the words.

Gesturing toward her bed in the corner of her cell, the man offers her a sympathetic smile. "Please, sit. I know it's a lot to take in. I haven't even had a chance to explain everything to you nor the reason I had so urgently pushed for someone to find you."

Arabella's head is spinning. This cannot be happening to her. How could her entire life be more of a lie? It was already enough that Giuseppe was not her real father. Now, she's discovering that her real father has lived far longer than he should have.

After a moment, Arabella releases a bitter laugh. "This truly is just my luck."

"Trust me, if dad knew that he got your mom pregnant, he would have come for you sooner." He wiggles around on his stool, trying to get himself comfortable. "He didn't know you existed until you shifted for the first time."