Chapter Nineteen

A grin appears on Klaus's face as he hears Arabella heads down his extravagant staircase. He stands in the dining room, hoping that the smell of food is enticing enough to lure her into the room.

Last night, he had come to the realization that pining after Caroline may very well become his undoing. Especially because the Salvatores like to use her as bait or distraction to get Klaus alone. Though he appreciates Caroline's fire and beauty, he's come to realize that the vampire may never come to her senses of what she really wants in life.

Those weren't the only reasons that Klaus came to this conclusion, however. The girl who was sleeping in the room right next to his also hasn't left his mind since the ball his mother had hosted to link all of her children. Despite their strange connection that they both have been trying to resist, Arabella was willing to help Klaus obtain the happiness he sought by getting with Caroline. Even if it meant that it destroyed any potential future the werewolf would have with him.

From that moment on, Arabella has been a distraction for him. Nearly every second of every day, Arabella has come across his mind. He has even begun to wonder if she has been thinking of him as often as he is thinking of her.

As soon as she enters the dining room, his grin turns into a genuine smile. He raises his eyebrows at the werewolf who takes in the entire meal with wide eyes. She obviously wasn't expecting this when she decided to stay with Klaus while her brothers figure out how to properly treat their little sister.

"Good morning," he greets.

"Did you make all of this yourself?" She asks. There's surprise in her voice as she continues to enter the room.

Eyeing her carefully, Klaus moves around the table to pull out a chair for her. "I got up early," he states casually. "I thought that you could use a decent meal."

Arabella takes in the various amounts of food as she takes a seat. Eventually, her eyes wander towards Klaus while he walks around the table. "Why are you being really nice to me?" She asks cautiously. Klaus doesn't seem like the type to do something nice for other people without wanting something in return. What will he ask her for? Loyalty?

Klaus releases a shocked laugh. It takes him a moment to compose himself to answer her question. "I just wanted to thank you for standing up to your brothers the other night. You didn't have to defend my family, especially with everything that's happened."

Picking up a piece of bacon, Arabella arches an eyebrow at him. "Uh huh," she responds skeptically. "Well, it was quite shocking when the person you're going on a walk with falls flat onto the ground incapacitated." She takes a small nibble of her bacon, appreciating the taste. "I figured my brothers had something to do with it."

It's apparent to Arabella that Klaus had forgotten that Arabella had gone out with his brother last night. His smile falls and stares down at his food with sudden interest. "Speaking of which, how did your date with my brother go?"

"It went," she states simply. She remembers every moment of her date with Elijah. Every laugh and smile. Yet, it was all a facade. It kept her distracted while her brothers were being blackmailed and Elena was being threatened. "Elijah kept me distracted while he hid Elena in a cave and threatened to kill her."

Picking up his glass, Klaus raises his eyebrows at the girl seated across from him. "And that bothers you?"

He sounds surprise that it would bother her. "It bothers me that he believes himself to be a man of honor, but uses methods that are not honorable at all. Every time that he's made a promise to me or the people I love, he's broken it."

To cover up his smirk, Klaus takes a deep drink of his early morning wine. Only Elijah could screw up getting with such a prize that is Arabella. It is quite obvious that Arabella holds people to the standards that they set for themselves. She doesn't want to be hurt over and over again.