Chapter Twenty-Seven

Arabella stops rummaging through Elena's fridge as soon as she starts hearing shouts. Furrowing her eyebrows, Arabella turns to look at Damon, who is looking under Arabella's sink. "Do you hear that?" She asks quietly.

Damon spares his baby sister a glance. "What? Stefan being a terrible liar to Klaus? I know it's pathetic."

Shaking her head, Arabella begins to move towards the staircase. "Elena!" She shouts. The doppelgänger races down the stairs. She quickly glances behind her before looking straight forward. She wildly looks around as though she is being chased by someone.

Once Elena looks at the hybrid, her eyes widen in fear. "Stay away from me!" She exclaims.

Taking a step forward with arms raised peacefully, Arabella shakes her head. "Elena, it's okay. It's me, Arabella."

Before the female hybrid can even blink, Elena breaks off a piece of the staircase and stabs the wood into Arabella's heart.

Stumbling back with a gasp, Arabella falls onto the floor as Elena steps around her. The hybrid claws at the broken banister in her chest while Elena races out of the door to the house.

"Elena!" Damon shouts as Klaus takes Elena away.

Releasing a groan, Arabella tries to gain a little bit of strength to take the wood out. Damon comes and assists her seconds after Elena is gone.

Arabella takes gasps of breath while Stefan calls Bonnie from across the room. "Remind me to never get on Elena's bad side," she murmurs as the wound in her chest heals.

Damon peers into his sister's eyes. "Klaus has Elena," he states.

Eyes widening in surprise, Arabella sits up. "What!?"

With a grimace on his face, Damon pulls his sister onto her feet. "Do you think that you'll be able to talk Klaus into releasing her?"

Shaking her head, Arabella walks towards the front entrance. "No. If Klaus has her, there's no talking him off that ledge." She pauses for a few seconds. "But I do know where you can find her."

The three Salvatores wait for Bonnie's arrival to formulate a concrete plan. Arabella is stuck with hybrid protection duty with Tyler and Hayley. She doesn't mind it too much, though, because it gives her the opportunity to talk with Hayley more.

It takes only a few hours to get Chris packed up, but once it has been done, Arabella received a call from Caroline. "One sec," she states. She exits the household to get away from prying ears.

"Hey, Care," she greets cheerily. "Chris is packed, we're just waiting until the time is right for him to leave."

"Bella," Caroline states in a sad and hesitant tone.

That alone is reason for Arabella to worry. "What's wrong?"

She can hear sigh on the other end of the phone. "Elena escaped and now Jeremy needs to kill a vampire in order to save her, and Klaus refused to give up a hybrid unless you go on a date with him," she blabs.

Furrowing her eyebrows, Arabella shakes her head. "What?"

Nothing about this makes sense. Why does it have to be a hybrid? Why can't Klaus or someone else just turn someone? "In order for us to save Elena, you'll have to go out with Klaus," she reiterates. "I know it's a lot to ask—"

"So, we're just going to give up Chris? After all he's done for us and after we promised to save him, you want me to turn my back on that?"

"It's the only way." Her voice cracks on the other end of the phone. "It's either that, or Klaus will kill Tyler. I can't lose him, Bella. I just can't."