Chapter Eighteen

Everything about Arabella's date with Elijah is going perfectly. After meeting up with him here only a few hours ago, Arabella and Elijah's night has been full of laughs, compliments, and flirting— both intentional and unintentional.

Despite not going on a date before, Arabella had a feeling that this is what one would call a smooth date in this day and age.

That is, until she feels as though she just got stabbed in her heart. Grabbing her chest in surprise, Arabella cannot fathom what kind of feeling she just went through. She is too busy focusing on her strange feeling to notice Elijah beginning to reverse in age until he is collapsing onto the ground.

"Elijah!" Arabella cries in surprise as she catches him. She gently eases his body to the ground and tries to figure out what is wrong with him.

Her eyes wander over to the back entrance of the Mystic Grill and the tug in her heart tells her that the cause of the problem is over there. Before she is fully aware of what she is doing, Arabella is standing at the top of the staircase and glaring down at her two idiot brothers.

"What the hell did you just do?!" She hisses.

Damon sends her a glare. "Stay out of this. Go and enjoy your date." A knowing smirk graces his lips for a split second.

Suddenly, the back entrance bursts open to reveal Alaric, dragging out Kol Mikaelson. A dagger is plunged in his chest, which explains why he is currently indisposed. Placing a hand over her chest, Arabella stares at the vampire's body. Somehow, Kol and Elijah are linked together. Somehow, Arabella can feel the dagger as if it's in her own chest cavity.

"Take that dagger out of his chest," she growls angrily.

None of the men standing before her have time to react before Klaus comes and frees the dagger. He knocks out Stefan and Alaric in the process, putting the odds better in his favor. Not that there is ever a contest as to who can win a fight against Klaus. There's no way to kill him.

The weight that was once on Arabella's chest is gone, meaning only one thing. Somehow, she can feel the pain of the Originals. 

She never wanted to become this close with the Original family.

Klaus fixates a menacing glare on Damon, wanting to rip his throat out. "I should have killed you months ago," he states.

A challenge sparkles in the Salvatore brother's eyes as he returns Klaus's glare with one of his own. "Then, do it. That's not gonna stop Esther from killing you," Damon responds.

Arabella, who was planning on intervening pauses upon hearing Damon's confession. Elena had just told Elijah that Esther had no plans on hurting her children. Had she lied to him? The self righteous doppelgänger, who is supposed to be nothing like Katherine, was dishonest to the man who had made a plan to spare her life?

The centuries old hybrid walks towards Damon. "What did you say about my mother?"

"You didn't know I was friends with your mummy?" Damon mocks as Arabella begins to move towards the pair.

The glint of the light reflecting off of her silver locks catches Klaus's attention and it is then that he notices her there for the first time. The air in his lungs seems to suck itself out as he takes in her features. Beautiful. She was absolutely, unarguably beautiful.

Damon hates the look that the hybrid is giving his younger sister. He hates the way Klaus seems to be so transfixed with her.

"What are you talking about, Damon?" Arabella asks him. "About Esther?"

Bringing his gaze back to the vampire, Klaus comes out of his strange transfixed state to continue glaring at Damon.

Her brother only smiles. "We have a lot in common, you know," he says. "She hates you as much as I do."