Chapter Eight

A slight breeze blows back the curtains in Arabella's room, illuminating the room just slightly. The werewolf is quite cold despite the massive pile of blankets covering her. She doesn't remember leaving the window open last night, but she probably should close it to keep whatever heat is left in her room.

Slowly sitting up in a bed, Arabella is startled by the face that there is a dark figure standing across the room from her. Releasing a startled sound, the teenage girl reaches towards her lamp to turn on the light to get a better look.

By the time she turns the light on, the mysterious figure is gone. She immediately rushes to the window and closes it with a loud bang.

She grips the wooden dagger that she keeps taped underneath her night stand and pulls it out of its hiding spot. Whoever was just in her bedroom was there for a reason, and she plans on taking no chances.

Arabella walks towards her bedroom door slowly, listening for any suspicious sounds. Once the door is open, she catches sight of Damon walking around with a smirk on his face.

Sending her eldest brother an angry glare, Arabella lowers her stake. "Were you just pulling an Edward Cullen on me?" She asks.

Lowering his dark eyebrows, Damon looks truly confused. "What?"

Arabella rolls her eyes. She hates when Damon pretends like he has no idea what she's talking about. "Were you the one standing in my bedroom watching me sleep?"

"No!" Damon exclaims in a confused tone. "I may be the evil prankster, but I'm not creepy."

They both stare at each other in confusion for a moment before Damon shakes his head. "We'll have to deal with this problem later," he states. "Right now, we're going to the Lockwood's to rub in how wealthy the Founding Families are." He eyes her strange owl pajamas with judgment. "Pick out something nice to wear."

The immortal werewolf had no idea why Damon brought her to a boring rich people party until she saw Elijah chatting with Mystic Falls's Mayor.

Arabella turns to face her brother with a shocked look. "You did not drag me all the way out here just so you could threaten an Original!" She exclaims.

Responding with his ever-so-charming smile, Damon lifts his eyebrows. "Maybe I did."

He practically drags his little sister to chat with Carol and Elijah. Damon Salvatore wears a mask of friendliness and calm as he approaches the pair's direction.

Mayor Lockwood spots him first, bringing up friendly smile of her own. "Arabella and Damon! What a surprise!" She exclaims kindly.

Damon and Carol kiss each other on the cheeks in greeting. "It's good to see you, Carol," Damon acknowledges.

The mayor turns her attention to Elijah, who is currently pretending to have no idea who Damon and Arabella are. "Elijah, this is Damon Salvatore and his sister, Arabella. Their family is one of Mystic Falls's Founding Families."

The two vampire males give each other stand-offish looks. Arabella is sure that if there weren't so many humans around they would be throwing each other across the room.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Damon lies. He practically presents all of his ulterior motives when he says the words.

Elijah accepts his hand shake in order to keep up with pretenses. "The pleasure is mine," he affirms before looking toward Arabella. He grasps her small hand and plants a firm kiss onto her knuckles. "It's lovely to meet you, too, Arabella."

She can feel the blush creeping to her cheeks as she smiles. No one really greets each other like this in the twenty-first century, so his action catches her quite off-guard. "You, too," she responds awkwardly.