Chapter Thirty-One

Arabella has never been a fan of her brother's plans in the past. Whenever she agreed anything in the past, she was always the one finding herself in trouble with their father and taking the fall for the mess all three of them made. Her punishments were always easier than Stefan and Damon's, despite the fact that she was their father's least favorite child.

Elena's plans usually work out the same way as the Salvatore brothers: always ending terribly.

"So, you want me to keep an eye on Klaus, who is keeping an eye on Damon, while Matt daggers Rebekah and Kol?" She asks through the phone while at the Mystic Grill. She nibbles on a french fry, glad that being forced into becoming a hybrid hasn't changed her interest in food.

Stefan loudly sighs through the phone. "Look, I know that you and Klaus have this weird soulmate bond thing, or whatever, but it's really important. It's so we can get the cure for Elena."

The cure for Elena. That seems to be the only thing driving her brothers at the moment. Their dangerous feud over the doppelgänger, who they should have left alone to live a normal life. If they had left Elena alone, she probably would be very happy right now. And this town would not be completely overridden with vampires.

Mystic Falls would be very different place if Stefan and Damon had not come back.

"I get it," she responds. "I'll do what I can."

Hanging up her phone, Arabella releases a loud sigh. She feels like there is something else that Stefan is holding back from her. Something important that he knows he shouldn't tell her.

Either way, she is going to help out her brother because he needs her.

She is still mad at Klaus for what he had done yesterday, though. How is she supposed to pretend like everything is okay? Like what he did is justifiable?

Plus, she is still grappling with the fact that he loves her.

Shoving back her seat, Arabella rises to her feet. If she is going to distract Klaus for her brother, then she should do it sooner rather than later.

She runs to her house at vampire speed, hoping Klaus hasn't killed Damon just yet. She knows that Damon can be annoying sometimes and that he knows exactly how to get on people's nerves.

Damon is currently being trapped in their prison-like basement in an effort to keep him from killing Elena's little brother. They can thank Kol for Damon's sudden murderous urge.

"I think this has something to do with a certain silver-haired hybrid," Damon states from down the staircase. His words cause Arabella to freeze in her tracks at the top of the staircase. Why are they talking about her? "I think you murdered Carol Lockwood and I think that you're worried Arabella is never going to forgive you."

"You've done worse," Klaus replies quietly.

He doesn't deny Damon's claims. Klaus is worried that Arabella will never move past Carol Lockwood's murder. That she will never forgive him for it.

She can practically feel the spiteful look that Damon is currently giving to Klaus. He's going to play on his insecurities and his fears. "Debatable," Damon states.

His bed loudly creaks as he probably rises to his feet. "See, I don't mind being the bad guy— because somebody has to fill that role and get things done. You do bad things for no reason. You do them to be a dick."

No one knows the real reason Klaus went after Carol Lockwood other than Arabella. To outsiders, it just seems like Klaus killed her for no reason other than the fact that Tyler was nowhere to be found. In reality, it was to get back at Tyler for what he allowed to happen to Arabella.