Chapter Three

The box is lighter than it looked, but that could be there werewolf strength that makes Arabella able to lift it with ease. She follows Damon around with the box, noting his empty arms and how he refuses to offer some help. Quite the gentleman, her brother.

"Tell me again why you volunteered me to help with this new park?" Arabella states in a form of a question. She has never liked to volunteer for things because they have always, somehow, ended in a tragedy.

"Because volunteering is a nice way to give back to the community," Damon states, causing the girl to roll her eyes. Arabella doesn't believe that Damon wants to give back to the community for one second.

"Besides," he continues with a side grin. "Mason Lockwood is supposed to be here and I want to see just how our favorite werewolf is going to engage a war."

Pausing for a moment, Damon stares long and hard at Arabella's hair. "God, it's weird seeing you with that hair," he states.

Arabella smiles as she brings a hand to her head. She can feel the slight curl of her hair that now stops just below her shoulders. She pulls a strand forward to admire the silver color to it. "I like it," she states. "I've always wanted silver colored hair."

"It suits you," Damon states. His eyes gaze off into the distance to find Stefan talking to Mason Lockwood.

"It appears that our brother wants to play peacemaker," Damon states.

With an amused facial expression, Arabella follows his gaze towards Stefan and Mason. "He's always tried to play peacemaker, Damon. It's in his nature."

"Well, it's in my nature to be an instigator," he replies with a smirk before walking over towards Stefan.

Matching Damon's long strides, Arabella glares at her older brother. "Damon, do not cause trouble," she commands angrily. "It only tends to end in pain and bloodshed."

Damon gives her an annoyed look. "Relax. I'm not going to ruin the peace." He grins as an idea crosses his mind. "Not unless it's fun."

Arabella rolls her eyes as they catch up to Stefan, who is staring after Mason Lockwood. "Do you really believe that Mason is going to keep the peace?" Damon asks his brother.

Stefan doesn't remove his gaze from the werewolf. He seems to be smart enough to know that Mason Lockwood is not a man to be messed with, but is ignorant enough not to worry about it. "I think that the first chance he gets, he is going to drive a stake right through your heart and then mine."

"Then why bother bargaining with him?" Arabella asks. "If you're going to have to kill him anyway, why not just take care of it now?"

Sending Stefan a smirk, Damon nods his head in agreement. "Our baby sis is right, Stef. Mason Lockwood is a problem that needs to be taken care of."

The vampire shakes his head in response. "Not yet," he states. "He's here for something, and we need to find out what that is."

Damon shrugs. "Suit yourself."

Arabella tips her head to the side as her brother retreats. Something tells her that Damon is up to no good.

"We should stay with him," she comments. "Just to make sure our charming brother doesn't do anything arrogant."

Stefan nods and follows Arabella to stand beside Damon. For the first time in over a century, the Salvatore siblings walk together in the small town of Mystic Falls.

Arabella eyes the refreshments table across the park, a small smile dancing across her face. "What kind of refreshments are they serving at that table over there?" She asks.