Chapter Twenty-Three

The objects moving past the window seems to be moving in slow motion as the car speeds down the road. Everything seems to be moving slower now that Arabella is a hybrid. It's as though every sense in her has reawakened and reforged into something new. She's stronger now, faster.

Damon looks at his little sister from the side of his eyes. Since they had left Mystic Falls, Arabella has been silent. As though she is too busy studying her surroundings to try and make a conversation with her older brother. It's never been that way before.

"How you holding up?" The vampire asks as he takes puts his eyes back on the road. He can already take a guess as to what the answer is, but he wants her to admit it to herself.

Frowning, Arabella turns her head to look at her brother. "Everything is different," she admits. "It's like the first week after I triggered the curse, but amplified."

The silence that follows is very tense and awkward. Damon hates it. He hates how he has no idea what his sister is going through at this very moment. The thing he hates the most, though, is the fact that his sister is upset about becoming a hybrid.

It honestly makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, Arabella couldn't die. Her curse is so complicated that even the Original Witch cannot break it. Why does she insist on breaking her curse and dying?

"Have you ate anything since you first turned?" Damon asks with a raised eyebrow. She might feel a lot better if she has more blood in her system.

Swallowing hard, Arabella shakes her head. With everyone worrying about Elena's safety and Alaric the Vampire Slayer running rampant, they all seemed to have forgotten one of the casualties of this war. Arabella. "There wasn't any time to with everything going on."

Damon fishes his hand behind him and grabs the first blood bag he can find. "Here," he states as he tosses it onto his sister's lap. He isn't expecting her to be grateful for the blood because of how new she is to this whole vampire thing, but he most definitely wasn't expecting her to just stare at the bag.

Turning the bag over in her hands, Arabella can hear the slushing sound of the thick blood as it moves throughout the small pouch. Feeling the veins pop up under her eyes in hunger, Arabella sets the bag back down onto her lap.

She opens her mouth to say something, but pauses when her phone begins to start buzzing in her pocket. Sliding forward a little, Arabella looks at the caller ID. She's glad that the phone called saved her from drinking the blood.

"Stefan?" She asks as she puts the phone to her ear. After a few seconds of silence, Arabella puts the phone onto speaker and sets it onto the arm rest next to her. As she waits for Stefan's response, she eyes the blood bag still sitting on her lap.

There's a lot of noise and commotion on the other end as Stefan talks to someone else. "Elijah's here and he wants to make a deal," he states briefly. "You're on speaker."

Of course after they get rid of the hybrid, all of his siblings come out of the woodworks to save him. "All we need is to get the stake away from him," Elijah's voice cuts through. It doesn't take a genius to know what him he's referring to. "Once the stake is in my possession, my siblings and I will scatter to the ends of the earth. And Alaric will follow."

Arabella thinks of the last time she saw the Original vampire. She had taken him out on a date and he was hiding the fact that he had Elena stuck under in a strange cave system. She had been so angry at him then, but the moment seems ridiculous now.