Chapter Eleven

Spending the past two months with two people who want to find Stefan as soon as possible has literally drove Arabella insane. She understands that it is important to find Stefan, but she also knows that Stefan will not want to be found. He'll want to serve out his sentence with as little damage to the ones he cares about as possible.

The most frustrating part about the investigation, however, is the fact that Damon has continuously lied to Arabella and Elena about the clues Stefan keeps leaving behind.

Arabella knows that Damon has investigated every single possible lead the sheriff has left for him and that every time, Damon presses a pin into the little map of his hidden in a closet. It was only a matter of time before she found it, but she wonders how long he plans on going on without telling her or Elena. She's also playing a game to see who he'll tell first: the doppelgänger he's in love with or his younger sister.

She stares awkwardly at her reflection, wondering if she should change back into her navy blue dress that stopped at her knee. She felt, however, that the dress is too conservative for Elena's birthday party. Instead, she's going to have to go with her black short sleeved crop top and red plaid skirt that stopped at her mid-thigh. Hopefully, Damon won't try to dress code this outfit.

The sounds of the gathering party downstairs finally drifts into her bedroom, causing the werewolf to turn around and quirk a brow. She distinctly remembers that Elena told Caroline to keep the party small. By the sounds of the shouting and the music, Arabella can already tell that the party is anything but.

Slowly approaching the party, Arabella can already tell that tonight is going to be a wild night. She comes right after Damon and Elena, getting stuck right behind the pair as Caroline explains to Elena that this party is smaller than her normal ones.

A grin spreads across her face as she approaches Elena. "There's the birthday girl!" She exclaims excitedly. "Happy eighteenth birthday, Elena!"

Elena turns around and gives the werewolf a smile. Since Stefan's disappearance, the pair have gotten a lot closer. Nothing bonds people more than the disappearance of someone you love.

"Thank you, Arabella!" She gives her friend a tight hug before looking over her outfit. "You look amazing!"

Ignoring Damon's glare of disapproval, Arabella gives Elena a twirl to get a good look at her outfit. The two of them giggle as Caroline gives them a mischievous grin. She goes between the two girls and loops her arms through theirs. "I think it's about time we all looked at the drink table."

It doesn't take long for the three of them to get split up and for Arabella to find herself outside with Alaric. "Where's Damon?" She asks him as she picks up what she presumes is Damon's glass of whatever.

Alaric glances around at all of his drunk history students, realizing that he'll never be a good role model. "He went to go pick up Andy," he responds.

She takes a deep gulp of Damon's drink, wishing she didn't have such a high alcohol tolerance. What would it be like to be truly drunk? Would she spill any and all of her secrets? Would she flirt with the first guy she sees? The possibilities are probably endless. "Ah, picking up his fake girlfriend."

The raging party inside seems to get louder the longer she stands outside. She doesn't know most of the people here at this party, and she wasn't really in the mood to socialize with them. She would much rather crawl back up to her bedroom and sleep the night away, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.

"He should be back any minute," Alaric responds.

Almost as if talking about him has summoned him, Damon trudges up to the house with the most defeated look on his face.