Chapter Six

For several days after her kidnapping, Arabella has been avoiding Tyler Lockwood in the risk of not knowing what to do or say. On her fourth day, however, avoiding him seems to be impossible.

"Where have you been?" Tyler asks her in a panic. He leans his forearm against the lockers besides her own, trying to appear calm in front of the student body. "I've been trying to talk to you for days."

Arabella swallows hard as she turns to face him. She is unsure of what to say or what to do to make Tyler feel any better about his situation. He has been thrust into the world of the supernatural. From now on, every full moon will provide a painful transformation.

How in the world does she explain that to a teenage boy? "Let's just say I've had a rough week," she responds cryptically.

She sighs and closes her locker door. "I understand that you've been freaking out about this whole thing and you have a lot of questions—"

"Damn right!" Tyler exclaims. He narrows his eyes suspiciously at Arabella. "Like, how did you know about the curse?"

Glancing around the packed hallway, Arabella makes a spontaneous plan that she knows she'll regret later. "Would you be okay with skipping school and getting some answers?"

Tyler eyes her quizzically before nodding his head. As she leads him out of the school building and towards the woods, he cannot help but wonder what he has gotten himself into.

Arabella slowly leads him through the woods towards a large clearing full of beautiful flowers. She runs her fingers along the leaves of a bush, glad for the strange warmth she feels from it. After her big escape, this is the first place that Arabella found to be the most relaxing in all of Mystic Falls. It's far enough from society where she can enjoy some quiet and natural sounds.

"This is where I go when I need time to think without the loud noise," she informs him.

Sitting in the middle of the meadow, Arabella turns to face the curious young werewolf. "In order to understand how I know things, you must know of my past."

In that meadow of green grass and colorful flowers, Arabella tells Tyler her entire life history without ousting her brothers, Caroline, and Bonnie. She manages to weave a tale of truth for him without telling him the entire story.

The boy stares at her for a long time, unsure of what to make of the situation. "So, you're an immortal werewolf who wants to become mortal again?" He asks. The way he said it made it sound a lot more simpler than it actually is. What Arabella truly wants is to stop going through the pain of transforming every full moon.

For his sake, however, Arabella will go along with the over simplification.

Fiddling with a short strand of her gray hair, Arabella slowly nods her head. "I have experienced over seventeen hundred full moons." She pauses for a moment and stares out distantly. The idea of it truly just hit her. She has gone through more transformations than any werewolf should and ever will. She should be an expert at being a werewolf by now, but she isn't. Despite all that she has been through, she is still new to the supernatural world.

"You shift faster every time," she murmurs. "But it never gets any easier."

A large lump forms in Tyler's throat as he stares at the century old werewolf. If she's gone through so many transformations and it still is hard on her, then what hope does he have? "How am I supposed to handle it? What am I supposed to do?" His voice quivers a little in fear, which truly bothers him.

He didn't realize how close they sat next to each other until that moment. The only way he truly noticed was through the slight glisten of her eyes, almost as though she is repressing her tears.