Chapter Four

The handsome boy with brown hair and dark brown eyes has caught Arabella's attention this entire volunteer session. His toned muscular biceps bulge slightly as he carries the large antique with his uncle, Mason Lockwood. He must exercise often to keep up with his physique.

"You should go talk to him," Stefan encourages. He pretends to rearrange a few flowers in the flower pot next to her.

Arabella scoffs at the idea. "You want me to make the first move?" She lifts an eyebrow at her older brother. "Please, I don't need the people in town thinking I'm a floosy."

Stefan chuckles. "I doubt they'll see you that way," he states encouragingly. "It's not 1864 anymore, Ari. Girls make the first move all the time."

The werewolf brings her gaze back over to the boy, a plan forming in her mind. Based on one of the movies she's seen, she knows exactly how to catch a boy's attention.

"Maybe you're right," she says. She begins to walk quickly in his direction.

Piling a huge stack of papers into her arms, she continues to walk into the boy's direction until their shoulders collide into each other. Arabella's papers fly everywhere in the aftermath.

"I am so sorry," the boy apologizes immediately. They both squat at the same time to grab hold of the papers.

Arabella shakes her head, her lightly curled silver locks bouncing in response. "That was my fault, I should really watch where I'm walking."

Just like he romantic movie that Arabella watched, the boy and her lock eyes. In that moment, they stare at each other and the entire world seems to melt away.

A small smile blossoms across his face as he stares at her. She promptly returns it, looking at him flirtatiously.

The boy reaches over to continue grabbing papers, but doesn't break his gaze. "I've never seen you before, and I think I'd remember seeing such a pretty face."

Arabella releases a breathy laugh. "I just moved back here from Florida. I wanted to spend the rest of high school in the place where my family lived."

"Brains and beauty," the boy states. He hands her the rest of her papers. "I'm Tyler."

"Arabella," she responds.

Someone calls his name from across the room, dragging his attention away from her for a split second. Tyler brings his gaze back to Arabella's face. "Listen, I gotta go, but I'll see you later?"

Arabella smiles in response. "Of course."

She watches him walk away, feeling somewhat satisfied when he turns back to look at her one more time.

"What do you think you're doing?" Damon asks from behind her.

Arabella faces her brother with sass. "I'm making the first move." She raises an eyebrow at him. "What are you doing?"

Damon stares at her intently. "I'm going to find out what Mason Lockwood wants and politely ask him why he's still here." A thoughtful smirk appears on his face as his piercing blue eyes meet hers. "And then, I'm going to ask him to leave."

Narrowing her eyes at her older brother, she tries to figure out if what he is saying has any ounce of truth. This Damon is much different than the Damon she grew up with. How is she supposed to figure out what he is truly like now? "Just don't ruin the peace, again," she states.

A charming smile makes his way to his face. "Wouldn't dream of it."

The girl is too caught up in her own world to hear how her brother's statement is practically dripping with sarcasm. She's just going to hope for the best with her brother and put some faith in him that he won't catastrophically mess things up, again.