Chapter Twenty-Four

Running through the forest, Arabella holds up the skirt of her dress as laughter erupts from her throat. She can faintly hear Niklaus chasing after her from behind. A small smile appears on her face. She knows that he is letting her go this far. He could catch her within a heartbeat if he truly wanted to.

She pauses in the middle of a clearing, gazing at a huge field of flowers. Niklaus's arms wrap around her waist as he brings his mouth to his ear. "I caught you," he murmurs quietly in her ear.

A large grin appears on her face as she shakes her head. "That's after I stopped," she points out.

He nips at her ear. "But I let you get this far."

A giggle escapes her lips as she stares at the large field in front of them. "This place is beautiful," she states. Withdrawing a deep breath, Arabella places her hands on top of Niklaus's. "There's something calming about it."

The vampire gazes our at the field of wild flowers. In a place of color and beauty, the flowers don't even compete with the girl in his arms. "You are still the most beautiful thing here," he responds.

Arabella stifles her laughter as she groans. "Nik!"

He turns her around to face him, staring into her captivating eyes. "It's true," he states. "I cannot help but tell the truth."

He pushes back a strand of her long brown hair before being his mouth closer to hers.

Gasping for breath, Arabella looks around the small truck in surprise. She doesn't know how she got there or why she is in a small van that is moving at very frightening speeds. As it hits a bump, Arabella gets tossed to the other side of the vehicle.

She has to get out of the van if she hopes to stay alive. Scooting towards the doors, Arabella gives the doors one mighty kick before it gives. As soon as the door skids off, she knows that the driver knows she's awake.

The sunlight's brightness temporarily blinds the girl as she tries to figure out her location. She is literally in the middle of nowhere with the woods surrounding the pathway.

Two police vehicles follow behind the van, each with passengers who are now pulling out the weapons and pointing them at the girl. Before she can get shot, Arabella jumps out of the van and onto one of the cars before jumping off and running into the woods.

She'll be lucky if she can make it very far before they find her.

After she gets quite a distance between herself and the strange people, Arabella finds herself looking back. If the police were after her, that means that it was council business. With Liz as the sheriff, though, Arabella wouldn't be shuttled off to some unknown location. So, what happened while she was out?

Arabella can feel the hunger pains as she continues through the forest. Patting down her pockets, the hybrid manages to track down her cellphone and calls Damon. Her brother picks up a few rings later.

"Ari?" He asks in absolute disbelief.

Rubbing her head, Arabella ventures further into the forest. She has no idea where she is or where she is going, but it's better than being kidnapped. "What the hell happened?" She asks.

A few seconds of silence follows on the other end. "How are alive?"

Arabella thinks threw the words, remembering the terrible pain that she felt moments before she completely lost consciousness. "I have no idea. I-I don't know how I'm alive with Klaus being dead, but I woke up in the back of a van in God knows where—"