Chapter Twenty

Shoving the large book she just finished back into its rightful spot on the bookshelf, Arabella does her best to try and ignore the new presence in the room. By the scent alone, she knows exactly who it is and she is currently hoping that if she ignores him he'll go away.

Carefully selecting her next book, Arabella finally turns to face the hybrid, who is still staring at her. "What do you want, Klaus?" She asks with a raised eyebrow.

It's pretty hard to ignore the fact that he looks very attractive in the dark gray shirt and black pants that he decided to wear. Or that it seems to accentuate his dark green eyes.

He twirls the white oak stake around in his hands as he gives the werewolf a charming grin. "Well, I figured I would swing by and retrieve the stakes so that I could leave this miserable town. Judging by the fact that your brother is not out here with both stakes in hand, I'm assuming he's having some complications."

Shrugging her shoulders, Arabella moves to flop down onto the couch to read her book. "That is not my problem. My brothers got themselves into this mess, they can get themselves out," she responds curtly.

Klaus walks to the other side of the couch so that he can get a good look at Arabella. "What happened to standing by your brothers's decisions and bailing them out of their troubles?" He asks with a smirk.

Arabella rolls her eyes as she opens her book. "I've decided that they're grown and if they want to keep me out of the loop, they can solve their problems without me."

Lifting up her legs, Klaus sits on the couch beside her and rests her feet on his lap. "Well, you'll be much better off with that philosophy. I know that I am."

Her eye twitches at that. The whole reason that she is in this mess with Klaus is because of how similar they are. "Stop doing that," she orders.

She really has to make up her mind. She can't just keep staying over at his house and then move on to hating him every two days. Either she hates him or she likes him, but this line that she's dancing on is doing neither of them any good.

The hybrid has the audacity to look confused. Does he not realize why they are attracted to each other so much? "Doing what?"

Slamming her book closed, the werewolf sits up and stares at Klaus. "Comparing me to you. Pointing out how similar we are. It's weird." Releasing a sigh through her nose, Arabella shakes her head. "I get it, that's why we're soulmates, but—"

"What did you just say?" Klaus asks in surprise.

Furrowing her eyebrows, Arabella subconsciously moves closer to Klaus. "You didn't know? Elijah told my brothers, but he didn't tell you."

At the mention of his brother's knowledge of the hybrid's situation, Klaus becomes angry. He curls his fingers into a tight fist. "Of course Elijah would know. My brother has been searching for my weaknesses for centuries. This is just one he would use to exploit me!"

He stands up so fast that it causes Arabella to jump. She has never seen Klaus this angry before, not even after Stefan lied to him or hid that coffin or stabbed his brother in the chest. He gets a lot angrier at his own family than he does with other people.

"Maybe he just didn't tell you because you wouldn't have believed him," Arabella responds in a quiet, yet soothing tone.

Turning to face the werewolf, Klaus shakes his head. "He told your brothers to get you to stay away from me! Elijah wants to deny my happiness because of his pathetic love for our family!"

Arabella finds herself rising to her feet. "Love doesn't make you pathetic." Grabbing his arm to force him to face her, Arabella stares into Klaus's dark green eyes. "Just because you don't believe in love—"