Chapter Thirty-Two

If Klaus hadn't compelled her to take care of Damon, Arabella would not have allowed her brothers to drag her onto an island. Though the island is very beautiful, Arabella cannot help the fact that she is thinking about Klaus and how he's locked inside of the Gilbert's household. Or the fact that once they get the cure they're going to force Klaus to take it and become a human so that they can kill him.

She won't allow that to happen, though. Once she sees Klaus again and the compulsion breaks, Arabella is breaking Klaus free and they are leaving Mystic Falls as soon as possible.

Damon sharpens his machete, prepared to chop his way through the dense forest. He talks to the strange professor as the man walks past, but Arabella chooses to ignore their conversation. None of that holds any importance.

When they finally venture off in the woods, Arabella can hear all of the mosquitos buzzing by her ears. The sound of the bugs annoy her to no end. There is such a thing as downsides to vampirism. Sometimes, the advanced hearing is one of them.

"You look chipper," Damon observes. He walks next to her, clutching his backpack straps.

Huffing angrily, Arabella swats at another fly that flies by her face. "You know how much I loathe the woods," she responds. "Besides, we both know the only reason I'm here is because Klaus compelled me to keep an eye on you until I see him again, but you don't want me seeing him again."

He rolls his eyes in response. Damon doesn't care too much about whether Arabella sees Klaus locked up or not. What he's worried about is Arabella somehow finding a way to set him free. There's no doubt that she would and that she would release Klaus on all of them.

No one, save for her and Rebekah, would survive Klaus's wrath then.

"Is anyone else a little creeped out?" Elena asks in a worried tone.

Rebekah and Elena have been at each other's throats all day. So, it's no surprise to Arabella when Rebekah rolls her eyes. "So then leave," she comments. "Out of everyone your presence is the least necessary."

Stefan has been trying to play the role of mediator, but he has been failing thus far. It was far easier for him to be the mediator between Arabella and Damon in the 1800s than between two quarreling vampires in the 2000s. "Please don't start."

"I'm merely stating the facts." Rebekah tries to appear casual as she glares into Elena's spine. "Jeremy has the spell on his body, Bonnie's the witch that unseals the cure, Shane is the human compass, you and I have the tombstone— which does God-knows-what, Arabella can protect us from the evils on this island, and Elena has no point."

Appearing to be offended to not be included in the list, Damon lifts his machete up in confusion. "What about me?" He questions.

"You have a nice behind," Rebekah states without missing a beat.

Both boys hold back their chuckles while they continue to make their way through the woods.

Arabella never agreed to be the muscle of the group. Though she is probably the strongest one because she is a hybrid— except for Rebekah— she doesn't want to fight any of the island's horrors. No one knows what kind of horrors this island has nor do they know how strong the potential threats are. They could potentially be stronger than the hybrid.

They continue to walk through the forest until nightfall, unfortunately having to listen to Shane's stories. He seems to be obsessed with Silas and magic. All for his dead wife and son, who Silas most likely won't be able to raise.

Arabella lifts an eyebrow at Damon after he dismisses Shane's story of seeing his wife again because of his blood. She didn't think that he would be the type to dismiss such useful information so quickly and so easily.