3. Change

"You can't stop the future, you can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret is to press play." ~ Jay Asher

The Daughter

"Melanie!" Jack grinned, catching his ball as it plummeted from the hoop.

"Hey kid!" I cheered, climbing out of my car and closing the door. "How you doin' playa'?" I asked and he laughed as I bundled him into my arms and ruffled his hair.

"I'm good sis, how're you?" He asked, bouncing his ball on the driveway.

"Oh you know, dreading this." I said, jerking my chin towards the house.

"You're the first here. Beth's buzzing." He smiled and I mirrored it; God did I miss my little brother.

"I bet she is," I sighed, chewing on my lip. "Pity I'm not," I laughed. "So how's your b-ball skills anyhow?" I asked, nodding at the hoop and he shrugged.

"My soccer skills are better." He said.

"Oh really? You still on the team?"

"Mhmm," He nodded proudly. "Dad thinks if I keep at it Coach'll ask me to join Varsity in Senior year."

"Really? You that good?"

"Derek thinks so," he nodded. "And so does dad. Coach says I need a bit more practice but I'm getting there."

"Practice makes perfect, hun. I swear I'll come to your next game." I promise, reaching forward to ruffle his hair with a petted lip.

"Don't worry about it," He said. "I know how work can be."

"And family comes first. I promise I'll make it." I said, extending my pinkie finger.

"You can't break a pinkie-promise Mel, you do know that right?" He asked, eyeing my finger skeptically.

"I know, Captain," I laughed. "Why do you think I'm making one? So I'll definitely be there next time."

"Okay," He chuckled, shaking my pinkie finger with his own. "I'll get you pitch-side seats and everything." He said, his eyes sparkling.

"Oh I won't accept anything else." I smirked, tossing my hair and making us both laugh.

"Melanie!" Beth cheered, appearing in the open doorway with her purse. "You're early!" She grinned, hurrying to me with open-arms.

"Just the way I like to be." I explained as we hugged.

"How are you?!" She asked excitedly. "You look amazing!" She twirled me with her hand and I laughed, blushing.

"I'm good, how're you? Stressed yet?" She puffed and shook her head, waving a hand.

"Don't get me started," I glanced at Jack and he rolled his eyes, his ball under his arm.

"Anyway," Beth said, reaching out to put a hand on Jack's shoulder. "I'm taking Jack to practice," She explained and I eyed Jack's soccer kit and nodded my head, realising that yeah that's why he was shooting hoops in a soccer strip.

"So I won't be long. Your dad's at the office," She said with a roll of her eyes and a tut. "He's picking up some paperwork to do tonight and bringing Dave over for final suit measurements while the tailor's here."

"Is everyone coming?" I asked, freezing.

"Oh no," Beth laughed. "Dave's just behind as usual." She smirked.

"Well hey," I began. "Why don't I take Jack to practice? I'll be able to eye the competition he has while I'm at it." I smirked, sending him a sly wink.