39. Together

"Missing someone gets easier every day because even though you are one more day further from the last time you saw them, you're one day closer to the next time you will." ~ Author Unknown

The Lover

My heart was pounding the hardest it ever had in my entire life.

My palms were sweating; as was my forehead, and my breath was whooshing out in painfully sharp stings.

Aaron hadn't even stopped the car outside of the hospital before I was launching myself out of the door and plummeting through the front doors on my way to the maternity ward.

I felt like I was going to scream, throw up and cry all at the same time.

I was so happy that this was happening; that I was going to meet our child, but I was also devastatingly worried as to why this was happening so soon.

"Melanie Hotchner, where is she?" I demanded, throwing myself to a stop at the end of the reception desk.

"What?" The half-asleep male nurse whined.

"Melanie Hotchner, my fiancé, she's in labour, where is she?" I demanded, slamming my palms down on the desk in rage.

The nurse looked at me half in shock, half in anger at my tone and opened his mouth.

Fortunately for us all, Beth spoke before he could.

"Spencer! We're down here, hurry up!" She shouted, laughing and waving down to me just as Aaron and Morgan caught up with me.

I took off at a sprint down the corridor and skidded into the delivery room, panicking and sweating; feeling as though I was going to faint as Melanie's screams registered in my ears and Beth shoved me to her side.

"Spencer!" Melanie screamed, snatching at my hand and twisting it agonisingly.

"I'm here, I'm so sorry I took so long, I'm here." I puffed out of breath, leaning down to kiss her forehead as one of the nurses lunged at me with a blue gown.

"This fucking hurts!" Mel screamed, squeezing my hand in one of her own while Penelope hissed and passed Mel's other hand to Beth.

"Chocolate thunder get out of here." Penelope hissed, clopping over to the door where Morgan and Aaron were stood in paralysed shock, unable to believe their eyes.

If this were any other situation I'd laugh or shout at them but instead, I focused on Melanie and slid into supportive partner mode; beginning to reassure her soothingly and push the hair out of her face.

I got a cloth and wiped her sweaty face clean, reassuring her constantly and breathing in time with her.

It was the longest time of my life, a twelve-hour labour and so much blood, sweat and tears. My hands were clawed to pieces, we were both crying and swearing. Beth couldn't stop laughing at our humour as the pair of us would joke around one moment and be snapping at each other the next.

Weighing in at a tiny four pounds, our gorgeous baby daughter entered the world in a burst of screams and cries.

"You did it, baby, you did it, well done, I'm so proud of you," I burst, throwing my arms around Melanie and planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Congratulations, it's a baby girl." The midwife grinned.

"A girl?" Mel and I echoed, looking towards our baby as the doctors fussed, making sure she was really okay.

"Spence," Mel brought my face back around to meet her. "I love you." She gushed breathlessly, her skin shining and red.

"I love you more." I said without realising that tears were rolling down my cheeks as Mel and I passionately kissed in relief.