34. Priorities

"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed." ~ Alexander Pope

The Daughter

Excitement bubbled in my belly as I thanked the barista for the cup of herbal tea - perfectly safe for both the baby and me of course - and medium caramel latte and headed out into the bright June sunshine. 

I smiled up at the perfectly blue sky and sighed happily as I slid my sunglasses on over my eyes; excitement almost swallowing me entirely as I remembered the very exciting reason as to why I wasn't stuck behind a desk this afternoon.

I hurried to my car and set the coffee and tea into the cupholders before strapping the seatbelt around my swollen bump, smiling happily at the fact that there was a real human being growing in there. 

I felt pride and joy and hope filter through me and swim in irrevocably beautiful harmony as I drove to the clinic over the other side of town; taking my time because I had the entire day off as well as over an hour until our appointment.

This was the sixth appointment and it was probably just as exciting; if not more exciting than the last. 

When I got to the clinic I pulled out my phone and hit the tiny Spencer-smiling-icon.

I waited for an answer but after over twenty rings, it cut to voicemail. I decided not to bother leaving a message, because knowing Spencer he'd probably be driving around the parking lot in search of a space, panicking frantically over being late - despite the fact I was now an hour early.

I waited for a further ten minutes before sending him a text message followed by another phone-call ten minutes after that. This time when there was no answer, I did leave a message.

"Hey Spence, it's me. I'm waiting in my car outside the clinic, just wondering where you're at or if everything's okay at the Sanitarium. I'll give there a call in another ten minutes to see if you're on your way. I love you."

Sighing to myself and hoping everything was okay, I finished my tea and climbed out of the car. I'd been waiting twenty minutes and now his coffee had gone cold.

Locking up the car I took the two cups and threw them into the trash near the doors of the building. I might as well get checked in and wait in reception rather than in my car roasting like a turkey on thanksgiving.

After fifteen minutes of waiting in reception, I tried the Sanitarium. Unfortunately, there was no answer and I began to grow irritated. 

Ten minutes before I was due to be taken inside, I wandered to the front entrance stroking my bump and smiling at the fellow pregnant women with their partners all waiting like I in reception. Except, the difference was, I was the only one alone.

"Melanie oh my god, I'm so sorry!" Spencer gushed, pushing out of the stairwell and rushing to me, his cheeks flushed as he threw his arms around me.

"What on Earth, Spencer?!" I hissed. "Where have you been?"

He pulled back with a suspicious expression and I frowned.

"My mom and I had a visitor at the sanitarium..." 

I looked at him quizzically before deciding it could wait, we were almost late.

*

Back at the sanitarium, after our appointment, we visited Diana and showed her the scan of our growing baby.

On her nightstand, was a gorgeous bouquet of flowers.

It was then that Spencer explained how Hart had stopped by a couple of nights previous whilst I was away, and that she'd stopped by that morning too, chatting to Spencer and refusing to let him leave until they'd talked about useless things, consequently making him late for the metro and so he'd had to hail a cab.

I couldn't help the nagging in my mind, was that all it was?

The Friend ~ Caitlyn

I knew that whatever it was, was seriously bad because never has Melanie Joy- sorry, I keep doing that- Hotchner, ever spontaneously called to come over in the morning.

When she arrived, I realise she looked good; glowing skin, swollen bump, casual but cute clothes. I wondered what was up until I saw her expression.

"Okay girl, spill." I demanded the second we'd parked our butts on the sofa with our teas.

"Nothing." She shrugged. 

She called herself the profiler but really, I begged to differ that that shit was all it was cracked up to be because really I could read her better than a book.

"How did the scan go?" I prodded and she turned to give me one of those looks. 

"He didn't?" I gasped, in pure shock. 

She sighed softly but didn't answer and instead looked down at her mug.

"He was late," She said with a sigh. "Because of a woman."

"What?" I blurted, disbelieving that innocent little Spencer would be with another woman.

"Who was he with? It's not that psycho nurse from Vegas is it?" She turned to me with a smirk and I smiled inwardly at the fact I'd possibly just lightened her mood.

"No," She giggled and sipped at her tea. I had to do the same in order to hide my victorious smile. "No, it was Ainsley Hart."

I paused for a long moment, trying to recall the name.

"Ainsley... Ainsley... Ainsley, oh my god HART?! Your PA Hart?!" She nodded her head and I kissed my teeth.

"D'you think they're fucking?"

"Caitlyn!" She gasped and I shrugged.

"I'm putting it out there, hun."

"I don't know," She groaned. "I mean, no. No, they are not. No. They can't be. Spence wouldn't do that to me. I love him."

"I know you do babe, but... if he can fuck you while with his other girl then... well... I'm just saying, you need to get rid of this bitch."

"What d'you suggest I do, Caitlyn? Put a bullet in her fucking skull?"

"If that's what it takes," I nodded and she shook her head, rolling her eyes. "Not literally, Mel, for Christ's sake wake up. This bitch is tempting your man. I don't think Spencer's fucking her, not yet anyway because that man loves you more than I love peanut butter, which is a hell of a fucking lot, but that doesn't mean to say he isn't tempted. 

"You're pregnant; you guys are being like super-religiously-careful; he's a man; he's getting more and more sexually frustrated the more you tempt his weak genius dick, and he's going to get turned on by anything that batts their eyelashes at him. This Hart sounds like a bitch, take her out of the picture before she becomes a problem big enough to ruin your family."

She sat in silence for a long time, unable to meet my eyes and unable to say anything.

I'd finished my cup of tea and returned the mug to the table before she could reply.

"You're right," She said quietly. "As much as it fucking hurt me to admit."