14. Tension

"Staying silent is like a slow growing cancer to the soul and a trait of a true coward. There is nothing intelligent about not standing up for yourself. You may not win every battle. However, everyone will at least know what you stood for—YOU." 

"Often those that criticise others reveal what he himself lacks." ~ Both by Shannon L. Alder 

The Daughter 

"Shit Spencer," I moaned as he kissed my sweating forehead and collapsed on top of me. "Fuck we're so screwed." I said breathlessly. 

"Well, you are now." He mumbled into my chest and I laughed. 

I actually, wholeheartedly laughed. 

Spencer Reid had made a joke. And it had been a fucking good one, too. And it was dirty. 

"We need to make sure Morgan's okay." I remembered suddenly, cursing myself for having sex with Spencer when three of my agents were injured; one of which was AWOL and most likely with a serial killer as we lay there fucking. 

Shit

 "What happened?" Spencer asked as he got to his feet, fastening himself up again before helping me to my own feet, picking my underwear up off the floor with a blushing smirk. 

"We made the arrests and as far as I can gather Morgan's car was in a crash. The Unsub got away and I'm pretty sure Jackson followed."

"He followed voluntarily?"

"Probably in pursuit."

"Is he injured?"

"Most likely." I tucked my blouse back inside my skirt and smirked as Spencer tried - and failed - to do-up his tie. 

"Some things will never change." He smiled as I waved away his hands and tied it for him. 

"It's comforting." I shrugged, turning to the mirror in the far corner of the office and wincing when I noticed the erratic nest that was my hair and the smudge of what had been my makeup. 

Once I'd quickly righted myself I turned back to the office to find Spencer gently shivering the glass into the bin as he dusted down the photo-frame of my dad and I. 

"Shit. Bang goes my cool-headedness."

"I won't tell if you don't." He smiled calmly, setting my photo back onto the desk where he'd kind-of placed the rest of the once-was trash. 

"I stood on your lamp though," He said, pointing to the metal mess. "I think it's too late to save him. Sorry." I laughed and shook my head. 

"Don't worry about it. He had crap lighting anyway." I shrugged and Spencer chuckled.

An awkward silence filled the room then and I couldn't help but dip my head a little lower to avoid the question Spencer was waiting to direct at me. 

"What uh... What happens now... With us...?" 

There it was

"I honestly don't know," I shook my head. "I guess I feel just as confused as you about everything... about us." He opened his mouth to say something else but not before my office phone began ringing. 

I took a gulp of air and answered hurriedly. 

"Hotchner." I answered. 

"Melanie," It was my dad. "We're at the hospital. Morgan's okay, he has bad whiplash and a sprained arm but he should be okay. Garcia says an unknown source has hacked into the network and has jammed our cells so traditional telephone communication is probably best for now."