6. Distraction

"From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent." ~ H.P. Lovecraft,

The Daughter

Truth be told, I was thankful to be back in New York, away from DC and the memories it brought back. 

I'd celebrated Thomas' birthday with Caitlyn and her family before dropping in on Beth and Jack before hitting the road. I'd never left for New York as eagerly as what I had that night.

The following morning I had a message from Spencer, apologising all over again for Dylan's outburst. I replied telling him I'd already forgotten about it, but truth was that she was right. 

I had no right going for coffee with Spencer when I'd ruined his life and left him for a whole new life. 

I'd been selfish and thoughtless and Dylan had been right to put me in my place. It's just that that particular day wasn't the best time to put me in it, that's all.

I returned to the office and threw myself back into work; pleased to have a proper distraction at last. 

The Lover

"Reid man, what's the matter? That big old brain of yours hasn't been in the game for the last few days." Morgan said to me as we settled down on the jet for another case, three days after I'd last seen Melanie.

"Sorry," I coughed. "I'm fine, just a little distracted," I shrugged with a sigh. "Not really got much to say." I added.

"That's a first. Shouldn't we be enjoying the silence while we can?" Rossi said with a wink and a smile as he settled down on the seat next to Morgan opposite me.

"Yeah, God knows when the genius will return." Prentiss chuckled from behind me, ruffling my hair. I smirked and fixed the long waves out of my eyes with a gentle sigh.

"How's Dylan?" JJ asked from across the aisle.

"Fine." I lied too quickly, just as Aaron entered the jet. Everyone shared suspicious glances; knowing I'd answered way too quickly for that to have been a completely honest answer.

But it didn't matter that I hadn't seen Dylan since our argument in the coffee shop three days ago. It didn't matter that I'd ignored her calls and emails and that I'd driven to work rather than get on the metro, knowing she'd be waiting there for me.

The truth was, I couldn't face her.

How could I when my mind was back in my past with Melanie?

I had to re-gather myself before I could face Dylan again. She deserved my full attention, and I knew I couldn't give her that.

*

"Reid, how're you getting on with the geographical profile?" Aaron asked, entering the conference room where I was on the phone with Garcia.

"Well judging by the three victims," I said, rising from the chair I was sat on and heading over to the board where the map was situated. "This here is our Unsub's comfort zone," I said, indicating the area on the map. "Which means that he either lives or works in this area." I added, pointing at the map.

"Okay, how are you getting on with the profile?" He asked and I hurried back over to where I'd previously been sat, shuffling through my copy of notes and scribbles and diagrams.

"Morgan and Rossi called, according to them our victims were all body-conscious, somewhat vain, self-aware men who took pride in their appearance and flaunted that."

"If you got it, flaunt it!" Garcia cheered from the phone.

"Well maybe that's what our victims were doing and that's how they ended up dead." Aaron sighed, frowning at the evidence board where images of our three victims - alive and dead - were pinned.