30. Sweetheart

"Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this. Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget." ~ Robert Jordan

Overview

At first she struggled. At first they both struggled.

While Melanie called in sick, refusing to show her face in work with her tear-stained cheeks and blood-shot eyes; Spencer lay at home, making himself sick with worry and fear; basking in a depression so deep he never thought he'd surface again.

But, after a couple of days Melanie began to realise that she wasn't doing any good by wallowing in what love had been lost between she and Spencer, and remembered that she was catering for two with the life growing inside of her.

So, she set to work at arranging everything.

She had an additional scan with a midwife she set up at her local private clinic, chose her pregnancy route and began to look at apartments which would cater to she and her baby's needs.

She considered moving back to DC to be closer to her family for when the baby arrived; mostly for the fact that she'd had to grow up without her family, and that she never wished upon anybody.

But, being in DC would mean being closer to Spencer, and she knew there wasn't any hope for her emotions then.

She changed the locks on her apartment on the third day, and on the fourth she changed her cell-phone number with everyone she knew with the exceptions of Spencer; deleting the unheard voicemails and ignoring the persistent calls and emails he sent to her.

There was nothing she could do about her work phone, as there was no way she could change her number then, so she simply blocked his number and ignored the unknown calls, trying to move on with her life and ignore the heartache he sent her.

Meanwhile he tried persistently and failed; her heartache was his and he couldn't believe how tragically he'd messed up.

All of his life he'd wanted to be the father his was not, and couldn't believe he'd let Melanie slip through his fingers yet again.

He understood why she wouldn't answer him; but there was still that voice in the back of his mind that suggested to him; if he kept trying, maybe she'd eventually crack and reply or answer?

But, she never did. And on the third week he had the heavy heart of wonder; should he give up? Should he abandon all hope of ever getting her back?

But he loved her; he adored her; and he knew how pathetic and weak and stupid he'd been to ever think otherwise.

She was carrying his child.

He'd been spooked, scared, frozen by everything that had happened and everything that could happen, and could still happen even now.

He terrified himself into thinking of the possible events that could unfurl without him there; without his support.

Melanie wouldn't be able to live through another miscarriage, he knew that for certain.

So, there was only one answer in both cases.

He had to be there for her.

For both of them.

The Daughter

"What d'you mean you can't come, Mel? This is my Hen Night we're talking about! We even renamed it to the British version especially in your honour!"

I sighed emphatically and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"I know, I know, I'm so sorry, but there's just no way I can make it. I'm totally bunged down."