20. Awkward

"He looked like the kind of man I could fall in love with. Trouble is, he was standing next to the kind of man I'd like to make love to. 
" ~ Jarod Kintz

The Daughter

I watched in awe as Spencer secured the handcuffs onto my ex-boyfriend and dragged him violently to his feet without so much as a drop of sweat.

"What does it matter to you anyway, arsehole?" Darren spat blood onto the floor by Spencer's shoes and he frowned as though that was the worst thing Darren had done to him this evening.

"Because," Spencer said in a calm and partially bored tone. 

"You attack my fiancé, you attack me, asshole." Darren scoffed and then began laughing as I watched Spencer shove him through my torn up living room. 

"You're seriously with her?" Darren was laughing. 

"Yes." Spencer said calmly.

"Wow Mel, you've really let yourself go." Darren laughed over his shoulder, Spencer continually shoving him towards my front door.

The door closed moments later and I was left standing there, gaping like a fish, completely baffled by what the Hell had just happened.

I looked down at my clothes, bloody and dishevelled but I couldn't let Spencer arrest that bastard and take him in for questioning on his own. 

Darren was a master manipulator and an expert at defying the law and escaping whenever he was caught up in his own shit.

Knowing him, he'd find a way to hurt Spencer and escape. Even if he was in handcuffs.

Before I knew it I was running out my front door, frantically locking it behind me with shaking hands and running down the stairs rather than waiting on the elevator, knowing that they'd already be in there anyway.

By the time I got to the lobby, the elevator was just opening and Spencer was rolling his eyes at whatever insult Darren was blethering on about.

"Oh shut your face, Darren, we're not interested in any of the shit you have to say." I puffed, jangling my keys as I fell into step to walk on Darren's other side as we left the building.

"Shit!" He swore as he saw me. "Where the Hell did you come from? Fucking thin air?"

"I'm sure Doctor Reid has read you your rights by now, yes?" I said calmly. 

"You have the right to remain silent, so I suggest you exercise that right and shut the Hell up." I opened the back door of my SUV and gestured for him to enter, his mouth gaping open at me as he tried to register what was going on.

"Are you sure you're okay to drive? You could be in shock." Spencer said to me quietly as Darren slid into the back seat in silent awe.

"I'll be fine. Just make sure he doesn't slide out of those cuffs and evaporate." I said as I climbed into the driver's seat.

Once inside I locked all of the doors and took a deep breath.

This was really happening. We had the bastard and this time, he wasn't going to slip away.

The Lover

On route to the offices, I texted Hotch and the rest of the team to let them know we'd arrested Darren. 

I was pretty worried about Melanie, driving staring blankly ahead not replying to Darren's rude remarks every so often. 

Truth be told I wasn't even listening to whatever it was he was mumbling.