13. Attraction

"A person who is another man's slave is still better than one who is a slave to lust." ~ Michael Bassey Johnson

The Daughter

I ran away because at the end of the day, that's just about the only thing I can do right these days.

Even now, an entire week after Hart's graduation and Spencer's confession in DC, I'm still haunted by his words and tormented by my feelings.

I mean, I've moved on. 

I'm in New York now. 

Spencer's with Dylan. 

We can't just abandon everything we've created for ourselves because of one spontaneous confession that Spencer probably didn't even mean.

Right?

I hadn't been sleeping well because of my haunting thoughts and persistent memories. 

Which was okay, because work was keeping me busy and the never-ending stream of relentless Unsubs was also pretty occupying.

We flew to Arizona and then Michigan in the week after my DC visit, and I was kept more than busy. Not that anybody told my overactive mind or anything. But still, I didn't let it distract me and kept going.

Up until I returned to New York and all but collapsed into bed, forfeiting to my dreams and waking in the morning with the ghost of Spencer and his lingering touch on my skin.

Shivering out of my dreams I aggressively showered and knocked back half a mug of coffee before my phone began ringing from the nightstand.

"Hotchner."

"Agent Hotchner this is Detective Brustin, I understand you're heading up the local BAU in Albany is that correct?" The thick and husky New York accent alerted me to the fact that something terrible must be happening on my turf. 

"That's right detective. Do you need our advice on a case?" I asked as I began pulling a skirt suit from my wardrobe hangers.

"Actually Agent I think we're gonna need more than your advice, I was hoping you'd help us out on this one. I've already faxed the case to your office but the long and short of it is that we need you here downtown, now. If you switch on your news you'll see why."

"I'll take a look and bring my agents to you as soon as possible, Detective."

"Much appreciated." We ended the call and I immediately turned to the TV, switching it onto the channel it never really changed from; the twenty-four-hour local news channel.

Dread overwhelmed me and I gulped, sending out a mass text to my team demanding they meet me downtown, asap.

*

"Detective Brustin I'm Melanie Hotchner, this is my team; Carter, Jackson, Michaels, Black, Peters and Wilson. I understand you worked with my father on the NYTC case some years back."

"I knew that name was familiar. Hey is it true you're Kate Joyner's daughter too?" I cleared my throat and inclined my head slightly.

"That's correct, yes."

"I knew they two were too close huh Cooper?" He nodded to the man beside him who gave a polite and patient little smile before leaning forward to shake my hand.

"Detective Cooper." He explained and I nodded my head.

"So what's the story?" I asked as I pulled on my gloves and ducked under the tape beside the two Detectives; approaching the three bodies covered with a sheet on the side of the pavement.