32. Suspicion

"Is it possible, in the final analysis, for one human being to achieve perfect understanding of another? We can invest enormous time and energy in serious efforts to know another person, but in the end, how close can we come to that person's essence? We convince ourselves that we know the other person well, but do we really know anything important about anyone?" ~ Haruki Murakami

The Daughter

The team and I sat around in the conference room, having coffee and cakes - while I watched on munching on caramelised apple slices and water, dodging their curious questions - chatting and laughing at the times we'd all spent together.

I announced that Jackson would be taking over as Team Leader and that my dad and I would be interviewing for the Unit Chief position back in Quantico.

The team were over-the-moon that I wasn't bringing any new members in replace of myself, and were more than happy that Jackson was going to be leading them; it all made sense, they claimed, Jackson had taken over for myself whenever I'd been out of the field, they were more than comfortable with him as their leader.

I began to feel content and happy and comforted by my decisions. When I'd worried and panicked and fretted before; there now was no need to do that.

"So boss, any ideas on when you're having the wedding?" Carter asked as I leaned back in my chair, stretching.

"Well, we haven't really thought that far ahead," I explained before being interrupted by a knock on the door opposite me. I looked up and gasped as I saw Spencer standing grinning in the doorway.

"Spencer!" I gushed.

"Sorry for interrupting." He grinned as I rushed to my feet and hurried to greet him. Everyone began saying hello as I threw my arms around him elatedly.

"I thought I'd come to help you move your things," He explained. "And I wanted to say goodbye to everybody." He added as I pulled back and turned to my team.

"Congratulations, again, Reid." Jackson said, getting to his feet and extending his hand.

"I believe it's me who should be congratulating you," Spencer smiled. "I hear you all have a new leader." He said, turning to look at everybody else.

"Nah, Jackson's always been bossing us around from the get-go." Wilson joked and we all chuckled.

"I think you best be going boss," Carter said, nodding to the removal men who were moving my boxes and belongings from my office. "Not that we want you to go, but..."

She heaved a shaky sigh which was completely uncharacteristic of her.

"Well, I'm not good with goodbyes." She shrugged, getting to her feet. I sighed and nodded my head, peering up at Spencer, suddenly overwhelmed that he was there with me.

One by one they said their goodbyes and Spencer was there beside me the whole time; shaking their hands and nodding and smiling and thanking them for their sweet and humorous words of goodbye.

Emotionally I took Spencer's hand and put my satchel around my shoulder for the last time in New York, looking back at the Unit and heaving a melancholic sigh as I smiled and waved goodbye to everybody standing around me.

They all cheered goodbye and I smiled tearfully as Spencer bundled me into his arms in the elevator and sighed deeply into my hair.

"Thank you for being here." I mumbled against his chest. He turned his face into my hair and kissed my head.

"I'm happy to be here, Melly." He said reassuringly, rubbing my arms and taking my hand again as we stopped at the ground floor.

"Actually, I thought it'd be good for me to be here as well because I have something to tell you." My heart dropped at his words and his tone and I peered up at him with widening eyes.