33. Time

"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic." ~ Oscar Wilde

The Lover

The Monday after the engagement/house-warming/baby-announcement party was interesting. 

We were all back at the BAU; Melanie in her office being swarmed with memos from the entire team, ordering her to stay in her office and stay out of the field no matter what. Not only that but they were warning me too; demanding me to wait on Melanie hand and foot. 

I accepted it all with a smile, blush and a laugh; knowing they were right and reassuring them all that I already was. 

There'd been an awkward conversation between Penelope, Mel and I, whereby Penelope had been questioning us about the due date for our baby; wondering that because he was due in October that then meant Melanie had fallen pregnant in January but how could that be for we weren't together in January.

I think it's fair to say that every tomato was jealous of my colouring as I blurted an excuse and hurried off to leave Melanie to deal with that one.

Not that it wasn't obvious Mel and I had been back together for a long time now; what with the new engagement, the house and now the baby. 

But it was a little awkward to admit to the team and anyone else that yes, we were seeing each other behind everyone's backs while I was still sort-of seeing Dylan. 

I only prayed and hoped Penelope wouldn't bring that up in conversation...

It was special having my mom at the party, and the happiness on her face was unforgettable when we'd made the announcement and she'd congratulated us both; admitting that this time she really didn't have a clue.

There was a moment when she forgot about the loss of our previous child and told us both - aside - how happy he'd be to be having a little brother or sister. 

But we'd taken it wonderfully considering the emotion in the statement, and it only made us even happier and luckier to be carrying another child.

I think it's fair to say we really knew how fortunate and lucky we were to be having a second chance. 

Not only with another child but with each other; in the BAU; in DC; in life. 

We'd both come too close to the edge on too many occasions since we'd last been so happy. And to know that now we were being blessed with another chance was... well, it's clichéd to say 'magical'. But there was certainly some truth in that word, regardless.

"Hey have you thought of baby names yet?" Emily asked, walking from one end of the conference room to the other with her cup of coffee; a sparkle in her eye as she sat down opposite me.

"Oh, oh, oh, let me guess! Aaron if it's a boy, and.... Diana if it's a girl!" Penelope grinned before laughing from next to Morgan.

"No," I laughed, shaking my head as everyone chuckled at Penelope's excitement.

"We're trying not to think of any names or the sex or anything, we don't want to tempt fate this time." I explained and everyone nodded.

"I think that's a good idea, son." Dave said, patting my shoulder as he sat down next to me.

"So does that me you haven't decided on god-parents yet?" JJ prodded, waggling her eyebrows and smiling mischievously.

"No!" I laughed, everyone joining in too as Melanie appeared in the doorway.

"Spencer," She gushed; a serious expression plastered across her face.

"What's wrong?" I panicked, leaping to my feet with my heart thudding in my chest.