24. Secrets

"It is strange how loud little sounds become when you are in the dark and doing something wrong." ~ Richard Llewellyn

The Daughter

It felt weird; going into Spencer's apartment with his spare key without him there with me.

I mean, I'd never been in this apartment before and it felt as though I was breaking some sort of rule by doing so. But, we'd made an agreement and we had an arrangement and I wouldn't break it.

I'd really missed him on this case; I was beginning to get used to our phone-calls and cheerful emails again, and I longed to have him by my side once more in the team; protecting me and keeping me from getting too deep into the cases.

I knew that for four of the nine days I was in South Dakota; Spencer had travelled to my apartment in New York and waited there patiently for me before being called out on separate cases each time.

I felt guilty and overwhelmed and exhausted.

I wandered up the staircases in the apartment block, checking the key-fob again just to make sure I had the right address.

My go-bag was in my left hand; my back and shoulders were aching and my head was pounding. Truth be told; I really needed a bath and a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine; whichever came first, I wasn't bothered) but I was making sacrifices to see Spencer because he was the one I needed - and wanted - the most.

I walked to the end of the long white-carpeted, white-walled corridor of the top and third floor and pushed the key inside the lock, gulping as it clicked and pushed the handle down, entering the apartment.

I didn't know when Spencer would be home; but I would wait.

I flicked the switch next to the door and light illuminated the horizontal hallway I was standing in. Closing and locking the door behind me I put my key on the side-table opposite the front door with his landline and address book on the surface too. I smirked at the address book; really as if he needed that.

Kicking out of my heels and shrugging out of my suit jacket I hung it on the coat-stand next to the side table and pulled my hair into a bobble, realising that what I'd assumed was a mirror a few feet away opposite the front-door wall, was in fact a docket into the living room area.

There was a door at the end of the corridor on my right with another door opposite. Deciding to explore I left my go-bag by the door and tried the door at the end of the hall to the right, discovering Spencer's bedroom which was large and open with dark mahogany floors and dark blue walls.

I sighed.

How Spencer and how depressing.

Pulling myself out of the dark bedroom I checked the room opposite and found the bathroom. I dragged myself along the hall to the archway at the opposite end and found the living room with the docket looking out into the main hallway.

I frowned as I realised there were glass doors in the corner of the room, and walked to them to find a fire escape leading up, but not down. Frowning I tried the doors to no avail.

Deciding to look around in search of some keys; I looked around the open and airy living room, realising that he'd kept all of our - sorry, his - old furniture.

There was the armchair Jack loved to fall asleep in when he was younger; there was the sofa we used to snuggle up on to watch Doctor Who and Elementary. And then...

I frowned as I looked back at the sofa from his old bookcases and gasped as I realised he still had my blanket; draped over the back.

Hurrying in my pencil-skirt over to the blanket I picked it up and held it to my face; inhaling deeply and growing tearful at the memories of it wrapped around my pregnant body as I shivered and Spencer read to me.