4. Advice

"All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else." ~ Mae West, 

The Daughter

"Jeez boss, do you live here or something? I thought I was early." Michaels' voice interrupted my reverie and I jumped slightly, casting my eyes over to the doorway.

"Ah, Michaels, take a seat," I said, pointing to the chair in front of my desk as I tried to bury thoughts of cigarettes and parties. "I think it's best if you close the door." I said, nodding to the door I always left open.

Gulping he took a step back and closed the door before taking a seat.

"Is this about yesterday?" He asked and I arched a brow as I removed my reading glasses.

"Yesterday, was a complete shambles and I'm surprised the case is going so smoothly after your heavy footing. Or, rather it wasn't quite a heavy footing but more like prancing around..." I sighed. "I really didn't think I'd need to give this lecture again."

"I know boss, I'm sorry. I thought I was up to the job, I thought I'd be able to handle it but... Truth is, there's so much pressure on the leader of the team. I wanted to make it work but, I just had no idea how."

"So now you know how hard I have it huh?" I sniggered and shook my head. 

"Look you've got me on a good day, and I'm pleased with how the case is turning around. But I'm glad I brought you back," I leaned forward on the desk and eyed him squarely. 

"I'm dissatisfied with this team's effort. I'm running out of ideas. I don't think you all understand the importance of our work. What we do... It's vital. Not only to the departments we work with and the lives we try to save, but to the entire Bureau. 

"I'm sure you're well aware of the bad name put on the FBI after the fiasco in New York a few years ago," Michaels nodded his head and sighed. 

"The last thing we need is another fancy Unit going tits up due to unconfident agents. You're all fantastic at what you do, which is why you have been drafted into this Unit. But if you cannot cut it as a Profiler, rather than an average Agent, then you don't belong in this Unit. 

"As soon as the rest of the team are back, I'm stripping us back to basics. No new cases cross our desks until we are all on the same page. Understood?"

"Loud and clear, boss. And for what it's worth I think you do a great job of leading this team. We all know there's a history of leading in your family, but what you do with us is incredible. Not many leaders would be able to stick around us for so long and not turn the gun on us or themselves." I actually cracked a smile at his compliment.

"Talking sweet won't guarantee you stay with the team, but thanks for the compliment anyway Michaels." He chuckled and shrugged.

"It was worth a shot."

"I'd like you to write up your report and then re-write your last two," I put two files down on the desk in front of him. 

"You know just as much as I do that they're inadequate to be passed. As Unit Chief I'm asking what the hell you were thinking when you wrote them up?"

"Uh..." He licked at his lips.

"In second thoughts, don't answer that. Look at the file I emailed you and base your report off that. I'm not expecting the same level or the same length, not by any means. But use it as a template."

"Boss," Michaels nodded before getting to his feet. "Will I leave this open?"

"Please." I sighed and watched as he retreated to his desk and clicked open one of Spencer's reports that I'd emailed him. His eyes went wide for a long moment and his mouth dropped the more he read.