19. Reconciliation

"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

The Daughter

"So what're you saying? That we just wait?" JJ demanded angrily. "We just wait for him to attack you? Or, or take you again?" Tears were in her eyes and I could tell she was about to break down.

"We can't let that happen, Melanie. We have to find a way to get to him first." Emily said matter-of-factly.

"The truth is, we have no way of knowing where he is, or what he's doing, or how he's doing it." Caitlyn said in a regretful tone.

"Well, then we find that out. We profile him and we find this son-of-a-bitch." Morgan said, slamming his fist down on the table making me jump slightly.

"You can't expect us to take this sitting down, Melanie," My dad said calmly. "You have to give us more than a promise that he'll eventually find you."

I sighed and ran a hand across my forehead.

It was late, past dinner and I hadn't eaten yet. I'd felt sick all day and now I only felt worse. This entire thing was an ulcer and I wanted nothing more than for it to go.

"He is a hunter," I said calmly, pressing my two index fingers together with my fingers laced. "So long as I am alive, I am our best chance of getting him."

"Can I talk to you?" Spencer snapped angrily from the doorway.

I looked up at him with a parted mouth.

Really? He wanted to talk now of all fucking times?

"Spencer I don't think-"

"Now! Melanie, please." He said in an impatiently angry tone.

I looked at Caitlyn and she nodded, reassuring me that she'd handle the team as much as possible in my absence.

I hurried out of the conference room and through the bullpen to the stairs, leading the way up to my office. I opened the door and Penelope leapt to her feet.

"How did they take it?" She sniffed and Spencer barged inside my office right behind me. "Wow, that well." She choked and I sighed.

"I'm sorry Garci could you give us a minute please?"

"Uh-huh of course, sure, I'm sorry. I'll go down be with the team." She gathered her laptop and things into her arms frantically and I kissed her cheek on her way out, closing the door behind her.

"There were a thousand better ways for you to take that which wouldn't have told the team we've been sleeping together." I hissed angrily, instantly regretting my words.

"And there were a thousand better ways for you to tell me that your ex used to beat you and want you dead," He said in a dead-tone, eyeing me with blank and cold eyes from across the room, his arms folded and his jaw set. 

There wasn't even a glimpse of the man I'd slept with earlier that day.

"We were going to get married, Melly," He said. "We were having a baby together. Were you ever going to tell me that you'd gone through all of that? Or were you just going to continue hoping it wouldn't catch up to you?" 

I sighed and crossed to the sofas, sitting down where Penelope had been.

"Spencer, you have to understand that this isn't something I thought about every day. This is something I had buried, something I didn't think about, or remember or even want to at all. I didn't think he was ever coming back into my life because I thought I had killed him. What other reason would I have for telling anybody?"