31. Transference

"Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it." ~ J.M. Barrie

The Daughter

"So how long has this been going on?" Beth asked over a glass of champagne, nodding between Spencer and I as we stood together at the bar.

"Uh..." I glanced at Spencer guiltily and he smiled, leaning forwards to explain to Beth,

"About two months after Melanie first came back to DC." Spencer explained, making Beth gasp and my dad smirk in astonishment.

"You've been together for ten months and didn't even tell anybody?" Beth asked, shocked and Spencer and I looked between each other.

"We felt it was best if we didn't get anybody else involved. We didn't know if it'd work out or not so we thought keeping it to ourselves was easiest for everyone." I explained and Beth placed a gentle hand on my cheek.

"I'm so happy for you both," She said, looking me direct in the eye before turning to Spencer and covering his hand with the one that had held my cheek.

"You take good care of my Melanie," She said emotionally with a sparkle in her eye. "Make sure she stays this happy." I smiled at Spencer as he nodded his head and tightened his arm around my waist.

"There's nothing else for me to do." He insisted. There was a brief feeling of deja vu in that moment. I'd never felt happier, and yet, there was a sense that everything could fall apart at any moment with just the smallest of blows.

*

"So... Dylan? Was she, a decoy?" Emily asked later on.

"You could say that, yes." Spencer said a little awkwardly and I dipped my head, sipping at my water.

"Hey Mel, sure you don't want something stronger to celebrate?" Derek asked, waggling his eyebrows and I arched mine.

"Sorry, antibiotics and alcohol really don't work well together." I explained and everyone around me nodded sadly.

"So what's going to happen now?" JJ asked and I looked back at her questioningly. "Well, you know. You two are engaged again," She sung excitedly, elbowing Spencer teasingly and the pair of us smiled lovingly at each other.

"What's going to happen?" She asked. "Will you move back, Mel?" She asked and I looked at Spencer in surprise.

"Oh, uh..." I looked towards my team and then back at JJ. "I hadn't really thought about that." I admitted.

"Because, we can't lose our Reid." Emily said matter-of-factly.

"And we can't lose our Hotchy," Carter said on approach and I turned to her with a warm smile. "I knew there was a man!" She sung knowingly, laughing and I blushed and grinned, accepting her hug.

"Yeah, we just never thought it'd be your ex." Jackson admitted, nodding at Spencer before shaking his hand.

"So what about it, boss, are we losing you?" Wilson asked and I turned to look at Spencer questioningly. He shrugged and smiled calmly, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"I'll go wherever you go." He said matter-of-factly and the girls cooed, Carter laughing and elbowing me gleefully. I think she was just concerned that I was going to end up a lonely old woman with several cats.

"Well there's no rush... We have plenty of time to think of something." I admitted, feeling pressurised by all of their penetrating stares.

The Overprotective Sister

"Hey," I jabbed Penelope's side with my index finger.

"Did you really know about Spence and Mel?" I asked in a quiet voice and she laughed, shaking her head before pausing and shrugging.