25. Feelings

"She had been given a wonderful gift: life. Sometimes it was cruelly taken away too soon, but it's what you did with it that counted, not how long it lasted." ~ Cecelia Ahern

The Daughter

For an entire month Spencer and I continued to sneak around behind our family and friends' backs.

Despite the obvious wrongness of that, it felt right.

In so many different ways, it felt so right to be together again and I was happy everywhere I went in every thing that I done.

"Okay, Jackson, you, Wilson and Michaels take the residence and the rest of us will take the workshop."

"But boss," Jackson interrupted as we all filed out of the conference room in the police station.

"Are you sure that's equal playing field?" He asked; all of us strapping into our bullet-proof vests.

"What d'you mean, Jackson?" I asked and he gestured to himself, Michaels and Wilson and then the rest of the team and I.

"We have to cover both areas but I'm almost certain he'll be at the workshop," I said.

"He kidnapped Jolene four hours ago now. That will have given him time to secure her in the workshop, head back home to look after his mother and put her to bed before returning to the workshop. And besides, you'll have local PD there too."

"But boss-"

"Jackson," I sighed, rounding on him as we all got into the cars.

"Just, trust me on this, okay?" He sighed and reluctantly nodding his head and I smiled, nodding my head too before climbing into the driver's seat.

"It's a man, isn't it?" Carter said from shotgun and I frowned in confusion.

"Sorry?"

"Yeah, I bet you are," She chuckled, turning to look at Peters and Black in the back seat.

"You've been distracted and all happy for a while now. You finally got yourself a man, huh?"

"What d'you mean by finally?" I asked defensively, my cheeks heating and she laughed, clapping her hands as the others laughed too.

"That's the first time you haven't instantly denied it! You got yourself a man!" She sung and began singing "love is in the air" while she and the other two laughed and sang along too.

I shook my head, continuing to drive, trying to suppress my laughter.

"Alright, Carter and I will take the front, you two take the back." We silently closed our car doors and edged forwards towards the tall metal gate.

Black cut the padlock with the steel-cutters from the car and threw them down onto the grass, the gate creaking as Peters slowly pulled it open.

She and Black hurried around the back of the workshop-come-barn; climbing over debris and rubble to do so while Carter and I edged closer to the barn doors, my heart thudding in my chest.

She threw her arm out for the wood holding the door closed and looked at me for the count.

After three I nodded my head and she slid the wood out of the way, pushing on the barn doors as we shone our flashlights and shouted,

"FBI! Carl Daniels put your hands where I can see them!"

We shone the lights and Carter groaned, turning away from the sight we were then faced with.

There were no sounds of any movement at all from inside the barn and the stench and sight of death told us there was nobody alive here apart from us.