18. Ghosts

"Now I know what a ghost is. Unfinished business, that's what." ~ Salman Rushdie

The Lover

She was so beautiful.

So perfect in every way.

But, I already knew that, and I'd already told myself that a million times.

"Spencer," She giggled and I pulled back from the corner of her neck, laughing. "You've said it a thousand times already!" She laughed, our naked bodies jiggling together.

"I know but I'm going to say it again and again until you believe me," I told her, kissing from her lips down her throat to her chest. 

"I," I kissed down the valley between her breasts. 

"Think," I kissed across the top of her stomach, right down the middle to her belly piercing. 

"You," I held her hips as I kissed across the bottom of her stomach horizontally. 

"Are," She tensed as she knew what was coming. 

"Beautiful." I told her a little breathlessly before tickling her sides, blowing raspberries all the way up from her stomach across her breasts and chest to her neck.

She laughed and laughed, her nails digging into my bear back.

"Okay! Okay! Okay!" She laughed, pulling me down flat onto her chest and forcing me to wrap my arms around her too. "I'm beautiful, okay, I understand now."

"You do?" I questioned hopefully as she rolled us over and perched herself upright on my chest; her caramel highlighted hair falling down like a cloak across her bare shoulders and my naked chest.

"Uh-huh," She hummed, running the tip of her index finger down my nose as my arms held her naked body to me. "But do you understand that you're beautiful too?" She asked and I arched an uncertain eyebrow. 

"Nuh-uh don't give me that look, doc. You are perfect, you're wonderful and smart and you're very very attractive, in every," She pressed a kiss to my lips. 

"Single," She kissed my throat. "Way." She kissed my chest and sighed as she looked into my eyes.

"Thank you." She said emotionally before I could respond to her statement.

I arched both eyebrows and rubbed my hands up and down her back.

"What for?" I asked curiously, worrying that she was about to break down again. 

I'd already had her crying at three different intervals over the last hour and each time I was worried it was because I was hurting her. 

This time at least I knew I wasn't.

"For being with me, today." She said slowly and I smiled, sweeping the hair out of her face and tucking it behind her ear.

"Melly, can't you see that so long as we're both living there's no other place I'd rather be?" She smiled tearfully and took my face in her hands, her blunt nails pressing into my stubbled cheeks as she kissed me passionately, moaning into my mouth as her back arched under my hands and her breasts pressed to my chest.

Our passionate moment was interrupted with my phone ringing in my pants on the floor by the bottom of the bed.

She sighed delicately as she pulled back from my lips and pressed another to my mouth, rolling off of my body so I could answer it.

With the sheet partially covering my waist as Melanie laid back on her bed, I scrambled to my feet and retrieved my phone.

"Hello." I answered a little breathlessly.