29. Heartbroken

"I guess that's just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up." ~ Lauren Oliver

The Daughter

"You're pregnant Miss Hotchner, congratulations."

The nurse and Doctor looked at each other with broad grins and I felt my entire body go limp.

"I-I-I'm sorry, w-what?" I stuttered, confused to say the least.

"Your blood tests show that you're pregnant. You're slightly anaemic, which accounts for the dizziness and lack of energy. But that's okay, that's sometimes common in pregnancies. We'll give you a prescription for iron and contact your local midwife to set up a scan and-"

"I want to see." I said, tears blinding me.

"Mel..." Spencer says from beside me.

"I want to see, Spencer." I said through my teeth, my right hand automatically reaching up to cover my tummy.

I... Pregnant? A baby?

"I just had my period..." I muttered under my breath as the doctor hurries out to order an ultrasound, the nurse staying with us in the cubicle. "I... Remember?" I mumble. "Jack's birthday... Jack's... Dave's house..." I nodded, remembering Spencer barging into the bathroom and how I'd literally just finished my period the day before.

"Melly," Spencer said in a controlled tone from by my side. "Jack's birthday was three months ago... It's January now." I looked down at him with tears rolling over my eyes.

"I..." I looked at him in surprise.

Christmas and New Year had gone by in the blink of an eye and now here we were, three months later in the middle of January with a doctor telling me I was pregnant.

"Luckily enough for you," The doctor's voice came from the curtain and the nurse helped him wheel the ultrasound machine into the cubicle.

"I managed to acquire this from a patient before it had to be taken away," He gave an unsettling chuckle and the nurse looked at him worriedly, concern for the other patient evident on her face.

"Alright Miss Hotchner, is this your first party?" The doctor asked, pumping hand-sanitiser onto his hands from the dispenser behind my bed.

I looked at him and gulped, shaking my head.

"Alright, good then," He said, picking up the gel from the stand. "If you'd just like to lift your shirt please,"

I looked down at my tummy, disbelieving truly that there could be a baby living under my skin right then as I slowly peeled the thin fabric of my jumper over my tummy, revealing a small swollen belly.

"I thought I was just bloated from lack of food..." I mumbled, looking at Spencer and shaking my head.

"When was the last time you had something to eat, petal?" The nurse asked and I thought carefully.

"Uh, yesterday morning... Maybe? I work a lot," The doctor and nurse turned to me with shocked expressions and I could feel Spencer staring at me in disbelief too.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled my apology and the nurse nodded her head at the doctor.

"I'll go fetch you something to eat. And for you, dad?" The nurse asked with a grin and Spencer and I looked at each other in shock.

That was a strange thing for us to hear.

"Oh uh... uh.. uhm, no... t-t-thank you." Spencer stuttered, looking at the nurse with a small smile before back at me with worried eyes.