35. Family

"Don't expect her to play her part if you have other women auditioning for her role." ~ Author Unknown

The Daughter

I rapped my nails against the back of my phone, chewing on the inside of my cheek as I irritatedly counted the seconds.

"So Melanie..." She began awkwardly. "How far gone are you now?"

"Seven months," I grinned happily. "Still going strong." I added, sweeping a hand over my bump.

"Amazing. And how is the baby? Do you know the sex yet?"
"We've decided to keep it a surprise," 

Just like last time. 

"But the baby is healthy and happy by the looks of things. I'm being good too which is helping."
"Excellent, I'm happy to hear it. And dad, how's he coping?"

"Apart from forgetting everything you mean?" I laughed awkwardly before Spencer burst through my office door. "He's fine." I snapped, resting my eyes on him displeased.

"Sorry!" He blurted as he closed the door behind him. "Sorry, I'm terribly sorry I'm so late. I'd completely forgotten what day it was, I'm sorry!" He kissed my cheek as he plopped down onto the sofa next to me.

"It's fine Spencer really. Melanie and I were just talking about the baby," Helena smiled and Spencer grinned. I ignored him again and turned back to our planner.

"Okay," She sang awkwardly as I never elaborated. "I was thinking we could start this session by recapping the major decisions we've made so far, and then go onto discussing some of our next steps."

Spencer and I nodded and excitement fluttered in my tummy as I realised that this was really happening; we were really getting married. 

"So, last time you'd both decided that your wedding colours were going to be white and a deep red because of your winter wedding, are you both still happy with this decision?"

"I-I thought we'd decided on a spring wedding?" Spencer stuttered apprehensively, turning to me with a confused expression.

"We'd originally thought that but we decided a winter wedding would be more romantic, remember Spence?" I uttered the last words desperately, hoping that he'd actually begin to take interest in this wedding we were planning.

"But, if we have it in the Spring that means the baby will be a little older and will maybe be able to be a bigger part of it?" He suggested.

I sighed and turned to Helena. I opened my mouth to ask her to give us a moment but was interrupted with Spencer's mobile phone ringing shrilly. 

I knew that I'd muted his work notifications for the hour and I knew that there were no impending cases for today, so I knew it wasn't work-related. 

I also knew that the sanitarium had a different ringtone for emergencies only - so I knew that it couldn't possibly be them.

Immediately Spencer leapt to his feet and yanked his mobile from the pocket of his trousers, silencing the call before rejoining me on the sofa. He blushed and gave a small chuckle.

"Okay, it doesn't matter about the season or the colours at the moment, we can focus on them later on. For now, I want to confirm the appointments we have lined up for you both," Helena continued, trying to refocus the attention onto the wedding.