27. Unexpected

"Most people want to be circled by safety, not by the unexpected. The unexpected can take you out. But the unexpected can also take you over and change your life. Put a heart in your body where a stone used to be." ~ Ron Hall

The Daughter

I paced back and forth in my hotel room, the memories roaming my mind; the way Darren smelled of her cheap perfume; the long blonde hairs clustered on my pillow; the lipstick stains on his shirt.

I knew he was cheating on me but I physically couldn't bring myself to leave him.

He had my brain so warped into thinking that I needed him.

But, in saying that, during that time I did need someone. I needed a crutch; somebody to support me in every little thing that I done.

I needed reassurance and Darren gave that to me. I genuinely believed he was the answer - the cure even - to all of my problems; and more.

I wouldn't let that happen again; I couldn't.

But, what if this was all just a part of some bigger plan?

What if, Dylan and Spencer had planned this all along?

What if, when I came back to DC on that first case at the start of the year, what if then they decided to play me. To get back at me for leaving Spencer in the first place, for dealing with what had happened on my own.

This was probably all a part of their devious plan; trick me into thinking there was still something between us both before breaking my heart like I did his.

"Oh shut up Melanie!" I screeched, pulling at the roots of my hair and throwing myself down onto the edge of the bed.

I hadn't slept all night. I couldn't bring myself to go back to New York, couldn't trick myself into running to my dad and Beth's, couldn't go back to Spencer.

I had to know for sure what was going on between he and Dylan before barging in all guns blazing.

I was too naive and gullible and stupid and immature when Darren broke my heart time and time again.

But now, now I knew the difference between right and wrong and I knew what to do to keep from being played the fool.

Spencer wouldn't cheat on me. He wouldn't. He couldn't break my heart. He... he didn't have it in him to do that.

So, why was Dylan's lipstick on my blanket?

"You stupid idiot, you left that blanket behind, it's Spencer's now." I reminded myself aloud, trying to convince myself that what was happening wasn't bad at all.

But, if Spencer wasn't cheating on me and if he didn't have it in him to cheat or break my heart, then, why was Dylan going into his apartment at eleven o'clock at night, three hours after he presumed I'd gone to work?

Possibilities and theories and questions roamed my head and I had to get out.

I felt as though I was suffocating and driving myself insane.

I was trapped within my own conspiracies within my own brain within a confined hotel room and I couldn't hack it anymore.

Taking my keys, purse and phone I barged out of the room and downstairs, across the lobby and out into the fresh morning, breathing in the bite of air and hoping that Spencer had already gone to work.

I drove over to his apartment, my knuckles white as they gripped the steering wheel; my shoulders practically up to my ears with tension.

I pulled up across the road and checked the mirrors slowly to make sure it was okay before I stepped out.