10. Unpredictable

"In fiction: we find the predictable boring. In real life: we find the unpredictable terrifying." ~ Mokokoma Mokhonoana

The Daughter

As I walked along the corridor to the conference room, something in my mind told me I'd never forget that phone call.

"Hotchner."

"Hello? This is Kenneth Joyner. I'm looking for Melanie. Melanie Joyner? I was told I could reach her here."

My mouth immediately went dry and instead the moisture appeared in my eyes.

The breath whooshed out of me in a wave and I was left standing, paralysed, his words echoing in my ears along with the sound of blood rushing through my veins.

His voice wasn't half as slurred as I remembered it. But it was still rough, coarse, rugged, English.

"Hello? Hello? Are you still there?" His voice called again and I cleared my throat, my head spinning as I sat down behind my desk slowly.

"Yes, this is Melanie Hotchner, how can I help you?" I said clearly.

"No I'm looking for Melanie Joyner. I must have the wrong number."

"No, it's me grandfather, it's Melanie. You have the right number."

"Melanie?!" His voice sounded surprised. "By God Melanie! You've taken his name now?"

"That's correct." There was a pause.

"So you found him then, your father?"

"What is this about?" I snapped impatiently, my heart racing.

"Well Mel I just wanted to catch up. See how my good little Mellow was doing."

"I'm doing just fine."

"I'll say. Chief of the NYBAU, is that what it's called? I don't know what that is but it sounds fucking great."

"Is there another reason behind your call, only I'm a little busy."

"It's been fifteen years and you're 'a little busy'?"

"Guess I get that from you." Another awkward pause.

"Well can I call again? Is there a better time you'd prefer or...?"

"Hotchy there's a call from DC on line three when you're ready."

"DC?" I questioned Hart, covering the mouthpiece to do so.

"Yeah it's your dad. He says it's not a personal call." I frowned and panic spread through me.

"I have to go." I hung up on my grandfather whom I hadn't spoken with in almost fifteen years; like he'd just pointed out.

"Dad? What's happened what's wrong?" I demanded as Jackson retreated back to his desk; worry overwhelming me now.

"Everything's fine," My dad chuckled. "We have a case I'd like you to take a look at. I've emailed you the file and I'm just about to give the briefing to my team just now."

"You want me to take a look?" I could hear him nodding.

"I'd like your team to assist. We were able to close that last case together in just two days with the help of your team."

"Kids again." I said as I opened the email and immediately looked at the attached files.

"Will you assist?" He asked and I sighed.

"Let me brief my team and I'll call you ASAP."

My heart was still thudding as I clicked along the corridor to the conference room where my team were all waiting for me; examining the files already emailed to their tablets.