16. Panicked

"It is a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up." ― J.K. Rowling

The Daughter

I smiled as the sunshine on my face awoke me the following morning, warming my entire body as I stretched and sighed contentedly.

This was such a peaceful moment. I wanted to bask in it, naked and warm for the entire day.

But then I became aware of the long cool arms wrapping around my waist, the messy hair pressing against my bare stomach and the contentedly sleepy sighs from Spencer as he curled around my naked body.

I tried not to move, or gasp, or so much as blink as I stared down at our naked bodies pressed against each other, at the discarded clothes surrounding the floor around the bed, at the faint little hickie on Spencer's neck, ever so pinkish in the glorious light from the sun.

Tilting my head to the side I realised it was seven in the morning, and despite our rendezvous last night, we were on a case.

Gently peeling Spencer's arms from around my waist I slid out of the bed and hurriedly gathered my clothes into my arms, snatching my bag before ducking inside the bathroom, panting to myself as I leaned against the closed door; my clothes pressed to my chest as I tried to calm my racing heart.

*

By the time I emerged from the bathroom come eight o'clock, Spencer was already up and out, and I was partially thankful that there would be no awkward 'so how did you sleep?'s as we hurried out of the door for the Bureau.

As I proceeded to exit the hotel I realised with a fierce growl of my stomach that I still hadn't eaten. A wicked grin splashed across my face as my eyes fell on the bakery across the street; an eager line queued out the door impatiently.

Smirking to myself I joined the end of the line and checked my emails while I waited, replying to Penelope's quirky jokes alongside the cute kitten video and deleting the unread messages from Spencer.

Whatever he'd said in those emails, he'd most likely said to me last night.

Memories of his salty lips pressing down on mine flashed across my mind and I almost choked; standing at the front of the queue inside the busy boiling bakery.

"Next!" The server called impatiently for what I feared was not the first time. Apologising quickly and taking a frantic step forward I gushed my order and paid.

Bustling out of the bakery with my arms full I almost collided with a short brunette, only she jolted at the very last second.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" I gushed, removing my car-keys from between my teeth.

"No that was my fault I'm so so-" She cut off her apology as we appraised each other and I felt like cursing toward the sky at the sheer irony of it all.

Someone above was really doing a number on me.

"Dylan," I said a little breathlessly, delivering a small smile coupled with a nod. "Sorry about that." I said carefully before taking a step around her to make my way to my car.

"Melanie hold up a second," She said in the softest voice and I paused at the edge of the pavement, turning with questioning eyes. Someone like Dylan, who hated me the way Dylan did, didn't speak to me in such softest tones.

"About last night, I wanted to apologise," She sighed and awkwardly wrung her hands together.

That very action reminded me of Spencer's long, strong fingers pressing into my naked hips as he clawed his blunt nails along my stomach.