9. Taehyung

I spit the toothpaste into the sink. Brush my hair and wash my face. Look at myself. I look at myself in the mirror and I get exhausted.

The door to the bathroom, slightly open, flies further open and Boogie walks in. He looks up at me, and I feel like the worst parent in the world. With a sigh, I sit on the floor, and he climbs into my lap.

"Hey, buddy."

Yesterday, I spent no time with him. I found the stupidest excuses not to. It's strange to hold your dog when you've claimed you wouldn't mind your family – true family – dying. God, I would mind. I would die without them. Yesterday I also didn't say a word to Jungkook, and he didn't say a word to me. He wasn't at work, obviously, but neither of us even called. It was almost like we didn't know each other.

"I'm sorry for yesterday," I say, helping him up as he plants his feet on my chest. "Your dad has been feeling weird."

I still get kisses, and I realize how much I've come to love this dog. I kiss him back, and he kisses me again, tail wagging, and my chest feels lighter.

With a knock on the door, Wooshik pulls it open and leans against the frame. He smiles at the sight and asks, "Are we going to the race?"

I also barely spoke to him yesterday, caught up in my head and the endless fight between being fine with what I have and potentially losing everything to climb higher. Every fucking minute I can say 'no' and quit. I can hand Hyoshin the win and walk away. And I'd hate myself for the rest of my life.

It's not only about 'becoming famous' anymore. It's there, as a by-product, and if it was the only thing to achieve, maybe I'd just give up. But it's not only that, it's about honor now, and this asshole thinking he can walk all over me.

Fuck. No.

"Yeah," I say and, cradling Boogie, get onto my feet. "Do you wanna race today?"

"I still wish I could race Hyoshin." He sighs. "But I can race whoever they give me."

"Are you sure? Considering... you know... the last race?"

He steps closer, wrapping his arm around my waist, the other petting Boogie. "I'm sure."

I find his hand with mine and squeeze, tighter the more I think about it. "You do know I wouldn't survive it if something happened to you? I didn't mean it-"

"I know," he says, softer than I deserve. "I know, Taehyung, and I promise I'll come out of it without a scratch." He glances down at Boogie, who's staring up at him. "And why are you looking at me like that?"

"He's trying to let you know we're going to trigger the end of the world if you get hurt."

"Well, then, I will not get hurt. I promise," Wooshik says, petting Boogie, and kisses the top of his head.

We're quite lucky to have a new neighbor – a veterinary college student who sleeps late – so every time we go for a race now, she looks after our dog. As soon as we leave Boogie with Hana, we leave for the race.

Wooshik stops me outside, where the sky is black and the air is colder than the night before.

With his arms around me, he says, "You know you should talk to Jungkook, right?"

"As if he wants to talk to me now."

"No one's angry with you."

"Well, I am angry with myself."

"But it doesn't change the fact that he was hurt and you're ignoring him."

"I'm- okay, maybe I am. I just... they'll be better off like that."