epilogue 02

Jungkook

I think we're just really tired

It's six in the morning of a random, spontaneous sleepover we've ended up having, when Yeeun wakes me up. I feel like I fell asleep two minutes ago and I'm up already. The four of us have gone overboard with playing video games. At least Yeeun and I are on the couch. Taehyung and Wooshik don't look too comfortable on the floor at our feet.

"What happened?" I ask, hoping my mind will start fully working soon.

Yeeun smiles, and I realize she's holding her phone. "Yoongi called."

"What did he want?"

"Your fathers are in jail."

I feel the shock in my brain, but it doesn't click yet. "What? Really?"

At my feet, Taehyung stirs awake. "Where the fuck am I?"

"Dude." I huff. "Yeeun and Yoongi just threw half our family into jail."

He looks up at her, even more confused than me. "What?" Though for him it clicks faster. "Wait, what? Half of our family what?"

"Yoongi called me," Yeeun says. "Jungkook's father, and yours too, are going to jail."

"Out of nowhere? Now?"

"Well. Not really out of nowhere," she says. "We've been working on it for a while."

Finally, the last one gives in and wakes up. "What the fuck are you all doing?"

"Everyone listen carefully, because I don't wanna repeat myself," Yeeun says. "Me, Yoongi and a tone of his people put Jungkook's and Taehyung's fathers in jail."

"Finally, this fucking asshole." Taehyung laughs. "I can't believe you did it. What about the rest?"

"Your moms are powerless now. Hyun apparently ran away from the city. Or country."

"And good for them," Taehyung says, reaching his hand out for a handshake. We do the laziest version. "Thanks, Yeeun. You're the best part-time criminal ever."

"I guess that makes Yoongi the best full-time criminal," Wooshik says, climbing onto the couch next to Yeeun. "Now move. That floor is fucking painful."

Taehyung does the same thing, taking the spot next to me, and I guess we're back to sleeping like that.

Except that before anyone falls asleep, Taehyung starts laughing. I immediately get it, and start laughing too. It feels like good fortune. Like winning the goddamn Japan Race. Because they fucking deserved it, years ago. They can no longer walk around, doing their evil shit with impunity.

Everything that happened considering my parents was always my father's doing. My mom was just there, doing whatever he wanted, agreeing to his bullshit. It was my dad isolating Sunhee from the family, pushing me and everyone else away because of who we truly were.

And it was, for the most part, Taehyung's father that made us think we hate each other.

At some point, we're no longer laughing, but hugging and crying. It must be in a cleansing kind of way, because they finally got what they deserved.

"I think we're really tired," Taehyung says.

I let out a choked laugh. "Yeah, as fuck. But also really fucking glad."

"Oh, definitely."

Neither of us goes to sleep again.