36. Jungkook

"How'd you like it?" I ask, as we drive back home.

"I loved it. I love fixing cars."

"Taehyung says you're talented."

"Sometimes I wonder if I could be better if I started earlier. If... I don't know... if our dad was into this. I could be running around the garage or something."

I can no longer see how she could have been luckier than me. I thought about it for the rest of the day, and the truth is, I'm the luckiest one. Because not growing up with our parents was a blessing, no matter how shitty it seemed before.

"Better late than never," I say. "You're still young, you've got time."

Sunhee taps the steering wheel as we stop at the last red light before home. "Can I be honest?"

"Yeah. Sure."

"I'm really jealous of you." She lets out a small laugh. "Of how you grew up. I know... it must have... sucked... on some levels. But you had Uncle and Grandma. You were always around it."

"I can't say I wasn't lucky," I admit. "But... now you're here. Grandma still drives like a maniac, uncle still digs in his car, me and Taehyung... you know what we do. You're... with your real family now."

That silences us for the rest of the ride, and I do my favorite overthinking for a little while, but then I let go. I haven't said anything that wasn't true.

🏁

Later, in the evening, I realize this is a full-time commitment. I can't sometimes act like I'm her brother, and sometimes like I wish I didn't know she existed. So, to fuel the first part, I do what older brothers usually do. Or at least what I would do if I had been around earlier.

I find Sunhee on the couch, watching – to no one's surprise – Car Battles. This show is a background sound of this house. She looks up when I sit, reaching for the remote. I figured out she's old enough to drink, so I brought two beers with me.

"How exciting is that episode?"

"I've seen it four times," she says, taking one of the cans when I hand it to her. "Why?"

"You've seen every Fast & Furious movie, right?" Nothing better to bond over.

"Yes?"

"Which one is your favorite?" This is a standard question I need to ask. Also whether or not she likes Jurassic Park. Those two can make or break any relationship. (Yeeun is an exception, I've forgiven her for the hate of Jurassic Park.)

With all the seriousness of the world, she says, "F9," and I reconsider my choices all over again.

We stare at each other, blinking, until she snorts and says, "Kidding. Tokyo Drift."

"And there I thought you have no taste," I sit back, taking a sip.

I play Tokyo Drift, even though this is not the only reason I'm doing that. Honestly, I could watch this with just about anybody. And I've seen it a billion times at this point. I can recite this from memory.

"I raced in Tokyo a few times," Sunhee says.

And here we go. That's why I'm here. To talk. I'm glad she's jumping into it first.

"Mhm, I did, too. In the Japan Race."

"Do not rub it in my face." She chuckles.

"Are drag races in Tokyo anything close to this?" I ask, pointing at the TV.