Protect our own

"Mom, you'd never even recognize it!" Hiccup said excitedly as he crossed the room, a wooden tray in hand. "Where they used to make weapons, Berk now builds saddles, wing slings..." Hiccup reached into a basket of fish, taking some out and putting them on the tray. "Even fix dragon teeth!" he said with a laugh.

Hala batted Toothless' head when she caught the dragon trying to snag fish out of the basket, and Toothless looked at her innocently, obviously in a way of saying, I didn't do that.

This whole time, Valka and Stoick were watching their children with amusement as the two ranted and bragged about how much had changed since Valka was taken. All in all, Valka was quite impressed by the two dragon riders.

"Your son and his lovely wife has changed Berk for the better," Stoick said proudly, laying his hands on his wife's shoulders. "I think we did well with them, Val."

"Thanks, Dad," Hiccup said, while at the same time, Hala said, "Thank you."

Valka attempted to carry the tray, but, she stumbled over a very misfortunate placed stone and lost her balance for a few moments. The plate tipped and the fish dumping onto the floor. Scarlett got to it only moments before her brother did, scooping the food up into her mouth before Toothless even had the chance and even Shortstuff got a small bit from her as he lays on the female Night Fury's head.

Toothless looked up at his sister sadly, and apparently, the dragon felt bad for the him, because she regurgitated fish back onto the ground for the dragon. Toothless was more than happy to accept the more-or-less chewed pieces of what used to be cod, slurping it up off the ground.

Heather winced, and Hiccup only laughed softly. It wasn't long before Heather joined in. They both understood the behavior of dragons and got used to how Windshear does the same for the Razorfuries back home, and were used to watching dragons regurgitate food for each other.

Still, though...

"That was kinda gross," Hala commented.

Hiccup shrugged. "It's even more gross when you know what it tastes like," he shivered.

Hala turned to him, confused as Heather already knows the sort. Even though he and Hala were brother and sister, there were still so many things he hadn't talked to her about. Little things, probably insignificant things, but things she felt the need to know.

"What are you talking about?" Hala asked.

Hiccup shuddered and squeezed her shoulder. "Let's just say I've had some unfortunate dragon bonding experiences while training Toothless," he said plainly.

Hala didn't even want to know now.

Valka laughed nervously, and the sister and the brother turned to look at their mother. "I'm..." Valka sighed. "I'm a little out of practice."

"Well, you know," Stoick said, pausing as if to savor every word he was saying, "I didn't marry you for your cooking."

"I hope not!" Gobber said, ruining the moment. Valka handed another tray of fish to Hiccup, and Hiccup instantly took it and approached his mentor, setting the tray to the side. "Her meatballs could kill more beasts than a battle ax!" the blacksmith went on. "I've still got a few knocking around in here." He pat his stomach and chuckled lightly.

Gobber took a bite of the fish, grimaced in disgust, and quietly fed what was left on his plate to Grump.

"And once you two move back, with all your dragons," Heather said, almost excitedly, "oh, Drago won't stand a chance." Honestly, she didn't see how between Valka's dragons, Berk's dragons, and the Edge's, Drago would stand a chance, even if he did have an army.