Chapter 16

VANSHIKA

'Vanshika Bhabhi... This saree is going to look really beautiful on you!!! Please wear this tonight. Mummy sent it for you!!!' Ganesh offered me the heavy kanjeevaram saree and I took it with shivering hands. He smiled and asked

'I know you are Punjabi and this should be very new to you but our supreme lord is extremely powerful and kind. He has always been protecting us all. Anna hasn't attended the event for years but Mummy and Daddy have always prayed for his and Anita Aunty's sake at every ritual(Offering prayers to the family god which happens annually or at during any big event like addition of a member in the family). But we are so happy you both are here and would get blessed together from Swami (diety)
today.

I hesitantly smiled as I looked outside the window as I noticed a wedding tent been put up. There were baskets of flowers and the entire compound was now filled with lights and there were people walking in and taking seats already. There were lots of people and that added to my nervousness.

'Such a big crowd?' I asked Ganesh and he smiled saying

'Everybody in the village attends this is
huge event not just in our family but also in the village. Our Swami has always been the most kind and most powerful. He has helped, healed and blessed this village. He's our protector and treats each one of us as his kids. So it's more like you know a homecoming. It's like a father's love, grandparents blessings. It's divine. And then he knows everything. You can't lie to him. He is the supreme lord. That's the reason everyone comes to visit and take blessings from him. It's followed by a delicious Tuluva meal. You are going to enjoy this Vanni. It's a all nighter.' he said with a chuckle and I hesitantly nodded.

'Ok Bhabhi!!! Got to go...The Darshana Pathri (The devotee who gets possessed by the power) has almost got ready. We should begin soon. Anna is still dressing up please ask him if he needs help. He is terrible with his Veshti' he said and started rushing out of the house. I closed the door and started noticing the person who was fully dressed in the holy attire and suddenly my throat went dry.

It's like a father's love, grandparents blessings. It's divine. And then he knows everything. You can't lie to him. He is the supreme lord...

Ganesh's words kept ringing in my ears. My heart was beating loudly. Whom am I going to lie here? God knows everything.

'Ganni...Help Malpuya...Yenchinaya undu- (Ganni... Please help me...What is this dude) he came out wearing a white dhoti...Veshti to be precise and was still struggling with its loose ends. My eyes widened as he suddenly looked extremely handsome to my eyes. He wore a white shirt, a white Veshti along with a white shawl on his shoulders.

I didn't know what was wrong with me. It's not the first time I have seen him in traditional wear but today he was a complete package. I kept gawking at him when he snapped his fingers infront of me saying

'Ohhhh Helloooo Shikanji...Which dreamland do you navigate on and off nowadays? I am asking where is Ganni? Who is going to help me with this Veshti now. I love my Lungis. They are less complex!!!' he mumbled when I chuckled and asked

'Can I help?' and he raised an eyebrow asking

'You??? This is not your saree Shikuuu!!!' he said mocking me and I suddenly grabbed the loose end of his Veshti and pulled him closer to me such that his chest crashed into my bosoms and I felt an electric jolt. His mouth was wide open and his eyes were ready to pop out.